Where did the BRR go?

ChibiOS public support forum for topics related to the STMicroelectronics STM32 family of micro-controllers.

Moderators: RoccoMarco, barthess

rew

Where did the BRR go?

Postby rew » Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:31 pm

I have an application where in an interrupt I need to set and reset GPIOs quickly. When I want to reset bits, I used the BRR (Bit Reset Register).

For example:

Code: Select all

GPIOF->BRR = 1;

Now I've upgraded Chibios and this code no longer compiles. The compiler suggests a different register in the GPIO struct, and searching for that I found the GPIO_TypeDef struct which included that register as well as the BRR on my processor (STM32F030C8T6).

Turns out that:

#define mGPIOF ((GPIO_TypeDef *)GPIOF)
   mGPIOF->BRR = 1;
Does work.

Why was "normal" access to GPIOF->BRR removed?????

Giovanni
Site Admin

Re: Where did the BRR go?

Postby Giovanni » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:20 am

Hi,

The PAL driver uses a different GPIO structure, you need to use the new one. Note that if you use the PAL port/pad functions then you are manipulating the BRR registers with no extra code, it is all inlined, there is no really need to manipulate the register directly.

Giovanni

rew

Postby rew » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:57 pm

OK. So in advance, I've prepared the 32-bit word that sets and clears the right bits of that GPIO port when written to the BSRR (A total of precisely 8 bits need to be set and/or reset, the other 8 need to be left alone). Which function helps me do that?

In the documentation I find:

#define palSetPort   (port,bits )   palWritePort(port, palReadLatch(port) | (bits))
I would say that this will never be able to be merged with a following ClearPort as the "volatile" on the ODR register declaration now requires at least a clock between the the set and clr operations.

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:30 pm

You are right, set and clear at same time is not part of the API.

giovanni

Return to “STM32 Support”