HAL MTD

This forum is dedicated to feedback, discussions about ongoing or future developments, ideas and suggestions regarding the ChibiOS projects are welcome. This forum is NOT for support.
Dmytro

HAL MTD

Postby Dmytro » Mon May 13, 2013 8:41 am

Hi,
does anyone work on MTD HAL driver?
This might be used on top of internal flash in MCU. Though in some MCUs it's not possible to program internal flash when running main code or just to costly(in pic32 the CPU is stalled while writing into the program flash) it's possible to have external flash IC(via i2c or SPI).

cheers,
~ dmytro

Giovanni
Site Admin

Re: HAL MTD

Postby Giovanni » Mon May 13, 2013 8:45 am

What MTD stands for?

Anyway, I agree that an abstract flash driver is required. The execution limitation is very common, some devices have dedicated data flash banks but it is not common.

Giovanni

Tectu

Postby Tectu » Mon May 13, 2013 9:01 am

At this point I'd like to point to the EEprom emulation which some STM32 devices seem to provide. It's not so well known and I don't know how well it works, but it could be a very interesting thing.

(PDF attached)

~ Tectu
Attachments
eeprom_emulation.zip
(146.07 KiB) Downloaded 222 times

Dmytro

Postby Dmytro » Mon May 13, 2013 4:10 pm

Hi, MTD stands for MemoryTechnologyDevices.
This covers all kinds of flash, eeprom, etc.
This suppose to be an abstraction level on top of flash devices that takes into account different characteristics of the latter(erase, write page, write sector, etc.).

Tectu

Postby Tectu » Mon May 13, 2013 4:45 pm

A generic HAL would also be interesting for ChibiOS/GFX since everything there is BaseSequentialStream and BaseFileStream etc. based. Therefore it would be way easier for the user to load pictures and other data from different memory sources.

~ Tectu

Return to “Development and Feedback”