Page 1 of 1
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:22 am
since I'm currently having more available free time I just started to look again into ChibiOS by browsing through the repository changes. There are a lot of cool things since I last looked! Congratulations!
However, I I saw one change which really disturbed me. As far as I've understood, you've added a new header file which limits what each licence is allowed to do. As far as I can see there is no distinction between GPL and GPL+Exception anymore. Also only CH_FEATURES_FULL allows full features while the GPL code is severely restricted.
I've not yet found anything on this on the forum or website. Did I miss something?
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:22 am
This is not correct, GPL and GPL+exception are two distinct "modes", the GPL-licensed version is the least restrictive, it has all features and will always be this way.
The new scheme has the following options:
- GPL, full features.
- GPL+exception, some features are restricted, source is not modifiable.
- Commercial "free", like GPL+exception but no GPL at all and less restrictions, zero cost but with an AD clause, basically users have to register and we can use the info for advertisement of ChibiOS, users also have to explicitly mention ChibiOS from their pages using standard badges (TBD).
- Development Commercial, no restrictions but limited deployment, low cost. It is the version for developers.
- Full commercial, no restrictions, unlimited deployment, it is the license for who does mass production.
- Partner license with custom agreement and clauses.
Note that this is the current state, details may change until the release except for the GPL option.
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:19 am
Giovanni wrote:This is not correct, GPL and GPL+exception are two distinct "modes"
Sorry for that noise. Somehow I missed it. I guess this is a fair agreement. After all you put a lot of work into ChibiOS and lots of people could use the Exception Clause (including me).
Thanks for clearing that up.
Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:30 pm
I just noticed the new web page on licensing -> http://www.chibios.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=chibios:licensing:home
It's been 6 months since the previous answer and obviously a lot of things have changed. Can you confirm that the GPL3 + exception licensing option no longer exists?
Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:48 pm
It has been replaced by a "free commercial" license, it just requires registration and has no GPL involved. Registration is only used for advertising ChibiOS itself, basically I want to create a page with all users and their use cases. Registration will just require to compile a form on the web site then a download link is sent via email.
GPL+exception also required ChibiOS advertising but very few complied.
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:56 pm
Are the costs of 'paid for' licences going to be published?
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:58 pm
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:22 pm
Thankyou - can I suggest a link to it on the licensing page? (That's where I looked)
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:34 pm
Good idea, bad placement.