Announcement of chibios-gfx.com

mabl

Re: [IMPORTANT] Announcement of chibios-gfx.com

Postby mabl » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:30 am

inmarket wrote:The code is now under the same license as ChibiOS.
My understanding of what that means - you can use it in whatever you want but if you make changes to the source code you must publish them.
The linking exception allows you to not publish your own main application source code. You must still however publish any changes made to ChibiOS (and in this case ChibiOS/GFX).

Inmarket,
remember that you may only use interfaces/function calles which are explicitly allowed, for you program to remain "closed". Last time i checked these interfaces were not defined in GFX. Without that information GFX is still basically GPLv3 - with all it's downsides in the embedded world.

Even if the normal graphic routines will become open - you will be bitten once you want to implement a new display driver or fix a bug until it is upstream, right Tectu? (Sure this might happen with ChibiOS - but bugs are rather seldom in the core).

inmarket

Postby inmarket » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:48 am

If this is an immediate concern for you, ask Tectu to define his linking exception interfaces.
I am sure it is on his todo agenda however I know that he has been VERY busy writing code and documenting the system. (Thanks Tectu!)
I am sure he would be pleased to know someone using the product has had his project reach the point where this is required.

Or... contact Tectu about a commercial license. Don't be a scunge - any commercial license helps support the development!

This table (from ChibiOS) describes nicely what you can and can't do.
http://www.chibios.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=chibios:license

Tectu

Postby Tectu » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:04 am

It's true that I am currently completely busy with things around and behind of ChibiOS/GFX. One of those things involve a complete redesign of the webpage. The current design is static and dosen't provide much room for actual content. There are also other things that need to be work-arounded like the code boxes etc. The new design will of course be still clean and overview-able, but way nicer :)

~ Tectu

Tectu

Postby Tectu » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:27 pm

Okay, the new website is now online, but we are still missing a logo!

---> http://chibios-gfx.com <---

Please tell me your thoughts!

~Tectu

bobc

Postby bobc » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:30 pm

Tectu wrote:Okay, the new website is now online, but we are still missing a logo!

---> http://chibios-gfx.com <---

Please tell me your thoughts!

~Tectu

http://chibios-gfx.com/licensing-options

Despite the previous discussion, it seems that ChibiOS/GFX still has a non-commercial restriction on the GPLv3 licence and therefore does not conform to the GPLv3 Open Source definition?

Tectu

Postby Tectu » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:48 pm

Yes, you are right. I digged myself into the FSF stuff and it looks like you are completely right. I try to modify the page correctly. Your help would be appreciated since I'm really not into this stuff but I want to do it right.
Thanks for your feedback!

~ Tectu

inmarket

Postby inmarket » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:58 am

Giovanni has made similiar modifications. Perhaps use Giovanni's modifications to the ChibiOS license (or license description) may save some work.

Tectu

Postby Tectu » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:51 pm

We know that we will never find a way to make all users and developers happy, but we have finally decided how to license ChibiOS/GFX. You can find more information about the licensing of ChibiOS/GFX here.

~ Tectu

Return to “LCD Driver and Graphic Framework”