Using ChibiStudio for non Chibios project...

Discussions and support about ChibiStudio, the free development environment for ARM.
jscott

Using ChibiStudio for non Chibios project...

Postby jscott » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:39 pm

I have been handed a working stm32f1 project that needs some major rewriting.

The first things I need to do are add some additional functionality quickly. That I can handle.

However, I need a build environment... Can I import a non-chibios project with all its includes and make files?

It is assumed that it builds under gcc... What would I need to do to get debugging working?

Can I import an existing Chibios example program and wipe out all the source file and install mine? I assume I need to update debug config and maybe make files.... Anything else?

Any pointers in the right directions would be appreciated!

Thanks
John Scott

Giovanni
Site Admin

Re: Using ChibiStudio for non Chibios project...

Postby Giovanni » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:20 pm

Hi,

ChibiStudio is Eclipse basically, you can compile and debug any project based on makefile. Just do File->New->"Makefile Project with Existing Code". Give it a name and point it to where the Makefile is. The project will appear in your workspace.

For debugging you can use OpenOCD launching it in ChibiStudio like for ChibiOS project, you need to create a "Debug Configuration" for your project.

ChibiOS projects are just Makefile projects as seen from Eclipse.

Giovanni

jscott

Postby jscott » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:17 pm

Great, thats what I expected, but there is a lot of Eclipse and openOCD stuff that I don't understand, So I figured I would ask.

I assume I can use the debug configuration from a stm32f1 demo as a starting place?

-Thanks
John Scott

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:40 am

You can take a debug configuration of an F1 project, it is a file with extension .launch.

Open it with an editor and search/replace the project name, there are 3 instances, after that you should be able to see it in the debug toolbar menu, edit it and change the path to binaries.

There are guides about ChibiStudio on playembedded.org, this kind of things are explained there.

Giovanni

Return to “ChibiStudio”