Inexpensive PPC e200 Devboards with compiler.

ChibiOS public support forum for all topics not covered by a specific support forum.

Moderators: RoccoMarco, lbednarz, utzig, tfAteba, barthess

jafrey

Inexpensive PPC e200 Devboards with compiler.

Postby jafrey » Sat May 27, 2017 3:39 am

NXP has just released 2 full featured $35 development boards for their MPC5744P and MPC5748G chips. What would it take to get ChibiOS ported to these?

I would be willing to donate one of each board for development if it would help.

The DEVKIT-MPC5744P features the MPC5744P, a 32-bit automotive microcontroller based on Power Architecture® technology. The MPC5744P addresses Automotive/Industrial functional safety and motor control applications. It offers dual e200z4 lockstep cores, motor control, safety, and communication interfaces to facilitate a complete safety/chassis solution.

DEVKIT-MPC5744P is a development tool for MPC5744P and provides easy access to more than 100 GPIOs plus access to onboard CAN, LIN, FlexRay, etc. The standard form factor compatible with the Arduino pin layout provides a broad range of expansion options. The board can be powered with an external power supply or directly through USB.

The DEVKIT-MPC5748G features the MPC5748G, a 32-bit automotive MCU based on Power Architecture® technology. The MPC5748G addresses functional safety, security and Industrial/Automotive gateway application needs, it offers up to three e200 Power Arch MCUs, Hardware Security Module, vast of communication interfaces and flexible memory options.

DEVKIT-MPC5748G is a development tool for MPC5748G MCU and provides easy access to more than 100 GPIOS of the MCU plus access to onboard Ethernet, CAN, LIN, USB, etc. The standard-based form factor compatible with the Arduino™ pin layout, provides a broad range of expansion board options, the board has option to be powered with external power supply.

Along with that they've released the source code for a version of GCC that has the VLE extensions for the e200 architecture.

http://www.nxp.com/lgfiles/updates/S32D ... .3.tar.bz2

Giovanni
Site Admin

Re: Inexpensive PPC e200 Devboards with compiler.

Postby Giovanni » Sat May 27, 2017 7:02 am

Hi,

The port should prove very simple, I will add the free GCC VLE compiler to the next ChibiStudio release too. I cannot take care of the port because there would be a conflict of interest on my side (being an ST employee), somebody else could do it, any taker?

Note that the current SPC5 port is obsolete, it was done for HAL2 and we are at HAL5 now, I cannot guarantee any functionality except PAL, Serial and SPI. Other drivers should be reworked/tested/enhanced, a fork of the ST-maintained code would be required too.

Question, are the boards usable using OpenOCD or is there some other GDB server available?

Giovanni

jafrey

Postby jafrey » Sat May 27, 2017 7:07 pm

I will add the free GCC VLE compiler to the next ChibiStudio release too

See if you can get it to compile. I followed their instructions to compile it from source without installing their S32 Eclipse environment. The build tools seem to try and hit their intranet SVN server and fails.

Question, are the boards usable using OpenOCD or is there some other GDB server available?

They are using OpenSDA. [PDF Userguide]

OpenSDA is a serial and debug adapter that is built into several NXP® evaluation boards. It provides a bridge between your computer (or other USB host) and the embedded target processor, which can be used for debugging, flash programming, and serial communication, all over a simple USB cable.

The OpenSDA hardware consists of a circuit featuring a Kinetis® K2x microcontroller with an integrated USB controller. On the software side, it implements a mass storage device bootloader which offers a quick and easy way to load OpenSDA applications such as flash programmers, run-control debug interfaces, serial to USB converters, and more.

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Sat May 27, 2017 8:01 pm

Hi,

I know people that managed to compile it, no problems.

Giovanni

tfAteba

Postby tfAteba » Sun May 28, 2017 11:13 am

Hi Giovanni, Jafrey,

This is an interesting subject, it would be a good exercise to port ChibiOS on such a platform :D .

I'm then very interesting on doing it.

I try to look at the board prise to purchase one on Mouser of Farnell but they do not have it in their catalogue right now. So Jafrey, how to do to have "DEVKIT-MPC5744P" ;)

First I will try to build the compiler on my Linux machine and see how it works.

Thanks.
regards,

Theo.

jafrey

Postby jafrey » Sun May 28, 2017 1:16 pm

tfAteba wrote:I try to look at the board prise to purchase one on Mouser of Farnell but they do not have it in their catalogue right now. So Jafrey, how to do to have "DEVKIT-MPC5744P" ;)

First I will try to build the compiler on my Linux machine and see how it works.

I actually don't. I am eagerly awaiting it to show up in stock. https://octopart.com/search?q=DEVKIT-MPC5744P

The discussion about this is here: https://community.nxp.com/thread/441146

I Do have the DEVKIT-MPC5748G, which is in stock at multiple places: https://octopart.com/search?q=DEVKIT-mpc5748g

I have worked with the Automotive MPC5xxx my entire career, so to have a $40 devboard is waiting for Christmas. Especially since the 5744 has a Simulink toolbox for Model Based Design.

I have been reading all of the documentation available and watching the video they have released
Motor Control Class: Lecture 1 - Introduction

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Sun May 28, 2017 2:08 pm

Funny enough, SPC5/MPC5 is part of my job in ST, this is why I can't touch it :) I learned that mixing work and private projects is not a good idea.

If Theo is interested in maintaining the port, that's great.

Giovanni

tfAteba

Postby tfAteba » Sun May 28, 2017 6:18 pm

Hi,

I'm definitely interested to work on it.

Thanks Jafrey for all the informations, I will purchase a board from Mouser to start playing with it.

I already have download the tool-chain and I'm going to look at it this week. :) .

Giovanni, I understand your position, but if I need some help while making the port, would you be able to give some help?

Thanks.
regards,

Theo.

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Sun May 28, 2017 6:54 pm

Of course.

Giovanni

tfAteba

Postby tfAteba » Sun May 28, 2017 7:15 pm

Cool, :D , so I'm on!
regards,

Theo.

Return to “General Support”