Support for HT32 / LPC series

ChibiOS public support forum for all topics not covered by a specific support forum.

Moderators: RoccoMarco, lbednarz, utzig, tfAteba, barthess

codetector

Support for HT32 / LPC series

Postby codetector » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:30 am

Hi, I have been working on bringing QMK (an opensource keyboard firmware) which is built on-top of ChibiOS to many commercial keyboards. Seems like among the keyboards the HT32 series and NXP LPC 11Uxx series are pretty popular. I started the PR for ChibiOS-Contrib for the LPC11Uxx series and I will follow up with the HT32 port soon. I wonder if there is special process for adding a family of controller to RT/HAL? I can help maintain these ports down the road if this is a concern.

Again thanks for making such an amazing RTOS.

Giovanni
Site Admin

Re: Support for HT32 / LPC series

Postby Giovanni » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:23 am

Hi,

Interesting project, I was not aware of it.

The problem with new ports is the maintenance effort, STM32 is already taking most of my time, the rest is for "general" ChibiOS.

If you are willing to maintain a new port then great, until version 2.6.x there was good support for several LPC1xxxx devices, you may try to resurrect those then proceed from there.

Let me know how you wish to proceed.

Giovanni

codetector

Postby codetector » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:46 am

I made a PR to the contrib repo. I think probably it is the best to let this stay there for now? If we see people use this more we can consider to move it to the main repo? I have ported USB / GPIO / SPI and UART for the LPC, and HT32 has most of the peripherals ported. For sure I understand maintaining just the STM32 series is already a lot of work. But I think I can handle maintaining the LPC / HT32 series at least for the foreseeable future.

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:34 am

If you plan to support specific devices then support is simple enough, the problem is when you are going to support ever growing families of MCUs like STM32 then it is an infinite loop of changes.

Anyway, let's start with community, we can move it to official later. Do you need a support forum here? that would not be a problem.

Giovanni

codetector

Postby codetector » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:45 am

Sure having a support forum would be nice. :D We can probably create a section for those MCUs once the PR gets merged. I suppose the person in charge of that is pretty busy? Also is it possible for me to get push access to the community github repo?

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:11 pm

Hi,

The community repo is not handled by me, you need to talk with the maintainer on github. I can give you access to the main svn server when the port will be accepted in mainline.

Giovanni

codetector

Postby codetector » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:41 pm

Okay the port for both controllers are merged. If you have free time, can you open support section for those controllers on the forum? Thanks :D

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:56 am

Hi,

I created a forum for HT32 and placed you as moderator, I suggest you place all the information about this port there as a standing post. If you could provide me a small image I will place it like other forums.

Giovanni

codetector

Postby codetector » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:14 pm

I think there is also a section about LPC previously that is archived right now, I guess we can "unarchive" that section as well? Since my LPC port also got merged.

Here's an image for Holtek (HT32) https://imgur.com/a/QQP7Tlu

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:22 pm

Sure, we are migrating the forum on a new host now, after that.

Giovanni

Return to “General Support”