A patch for Linker Script

ChibiOS public support forum for topics related to the Freescale Kinetis family of micro-controllers.

Moderator: utzig

RoccoMarco

A patch for Linker Script

Postby RoccoMarco » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:35 pm

Hi,
I have created a patch for kinetis port. The patch updates linker scripts (is fully compatible with actual trunk), updates chconf.h in Kinetis demos too and adds linker script e CMSIS file for K64F.
Attached a runnable demo for K64F which don't use HAL.
I hope it could be helpful somehow.

Ciao,
RM
Attachments
patchKinetis.7z
(33.31 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
RT-ARMCM4-GENERIC_K64.7z
(8.56 KiB) Downloaded 325 times

utzig

Re: A patch for Linker Script

Postby utzig » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:03 am

I would prefer you send me pull requests on Github as soon as I move the repo. Due to some unexpected events I was not able to do it on last weekend but I'll find some time till next week.

Please also break the patch in fixes to current demos and new demos.

Cheers,
Fabio Utzig

RoccoMarco

Postby RoccoMarco » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:21 am

Hi. And what about the svn? Will it remain out of date in this way?
Ciao,
RM
Last edited by RoccoMarco on Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

utzig

Postby utzig » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:39 am

When migration is done, there will be no reason to have a duplicated port so better remove it.

RoccoMarco

Postby RoccoMarco » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:48 am

In my opinion remove the port from svn will create a lot of confusion in users. I think we should review the code trying to reach the high standards Giovanni was talking about.

utzig

Postby utzig » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:59 am

High standards and SVN are probably not correlated (but maybe inversely correlated, excluding some like ChibiOS). We have much better review options on Github than having to download 7zip files, unzip, check patch, comment on a forum. If people don't maintain the "high standards" when contributing is because people come and go which is normal for people who are not deriving financial rewards from the work. That is the dynamics of open source communities. About the one mentioned thread I prefer to not comment anymore because I don't want to generate entropy.

RoccoMarco

Postby RoccoMarco » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:37 am

Indeed, you are right. Contributors are free to follow their standards according to their will and spare time. :mrgreen:

I understand perfectly both the argumentations. I think community repo would be great for contributions. Nevertheless, it is a beautiful think that some code can be accepted into the main repository.

My proposal is that a Kinetis branch should be created into the Community Repo but I would like to spent some time to check code and import it into the main repo (trying to follow ChibiOS standards). Of course this idea requires an approval from Giovanni and community which is working so hard and bravely to offer some working support for (previously) unsupporded platforms. No one takes your efforts for granted (and no one should do this) but I neither think that ChibiOS is born to follow commercial purposes.

In my personal opinion, ChibiOS is a "philosophy", an elegant way to write beautiful code. I would to respect this ideal, even more I would respect people which are working on this project (for free) from much more time than me and I wouldn't create entropy. :D

Sincerely,
RM

flabbergast

Postby flabbergast » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:34 pm

It seems to me that the main problem with moving ports to the Contrib repo is about "image". People apparently consider Contrib to be "worse" than the main SVN, and also not really a part of ChibiOS.

This is a PR issue, and I think it should be treated as such. The code standards depend only on the people having push rights to the repo (which is I think the same set of people as for the main SVN).

I think it is only beneficial for the project as a whole if it will be easier for random people from the community to contribute code to ports/drivers which are not maintained full-time by Giovanni. (Submitting/reviewing patches and making bug reports through the forums is a bit of a pain in the backside.)

utzig

Postby utzig » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:04 pm

I "moved" the Kinetis port to ChibiOS-Contrib. The pull request is here: https://github.com/ChibiOS/ChibiOS-Contrib/pull/45

I think I got everything right but the only way to really be sure would be removing the Kinetis port from main repo! But I updated the makefiles, configs, cmsis related data, etc. I only added two demos for now one for freedom KL25Z and one for freedom K20D50 and I only tested K20D50 but will test KL25Z later today.

Cheers,
Fabio Utzig

utzig

Postby utzig » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:18 am

So guys, how about we finish this process and start updating the contrib repo with extra work available on personal repos?

Return to “Kinetis Support”