[NOTES] Re-imagining the HAL API

This forum is dedicated to feedback, discussions about ongoing or future developments, ideas and suggestions regarding the ChibiOS projects are welcome. This forum is NOT for support.
steved

Re: [NOTES] Re-imagining the HAL API

Postby steved » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:32 am

Giovanni wrote:1) It can be extended with more error codes.

Agreed; however at present this is potentially random. I suggest it would help avoid potential confusion if there were defined blocks of values for specific purposes; in particular a block for user-specific error values. And within Chibi itself, it may be possible to have standard error meanings in some cases.

Giovanni wrote:2) It is a "start" operation, errors should happen during operation. I would not make checks at runtime about parameters etc, code size would go up for no added value.

I was not intending to suggest that checks of no added value were done anywhere; more I was suggesting that checks which do add value are done in the start operation where reasonable; both to give the advice to the caller as soon as reasonable, and to avoid the overhead of starting then aborting an operation.

Giovanni wrote:3) I prefer to keep it simple and do not pass extra parameters, this API would have 2 parameters max, which is very efficient on ARM.

Fair enough (although IIRC for GCC at least, up to 4 parameters are efficient).

Giovanni wrote:5) The config structure would be const, this is why it is in the driver currently, just a note, mutexes do not support timeouts, there is a reason for that (priority inheritance complexity).

It makes sense for the driver to expect a 'const' structure, but obviously that doesn't mean it has to be 'const' outside the driver; I've got code which generates some details of the driver structure at run-time. (Nor does a const driver structure preclude adding a pointer to a mutex).

Return to “Development and Feedback”