[INFO] Developers chat (was "Slack ChibiOS workspace")

This forum is dedicated to feedback, discussions about ongoing or future developments, ideas and suggestions regarding the ChibiOS projects are welcome. This forum is NOT for support.
Giovanni
Site Admin

[INFO] Developers chat (was "Slack ChibiOS workspace")

Postby Giovanni » Thu May 06, 2021 1:32 pm

Hi,

Vitaly (vrollei on the forum) proposed to use Slack for discussions regarding ChibiOS development (not support), it would be public and/or private (TBD), is there interest about this?

Some of us are already using a Telegram group and it is working pretty well, probably it would be insufficient if more people are going to join, thus the Slack proposal.

Note that it would not be "continuous presence", people would go in there to discuss specific topics related to ChibiOS-related development. Community repository discussions would be welcome as well.

Giovanni

alex31

Re: [PROPOSAL] Slack ChibiOS workspace

Postby alex31 » Thu May 06, 2021 5:38 pm

Hello,

It could be nice to exchange about "real time" in real time. A lab where I work use slack, and we are happy with it.

Alexandre

faisal

Postby faisal » Thu May 06, 2021 7:06 pm

I would highly suggest using Matrix for real-time conversations. Several large open source projects are shifting from slack, gitter, IRC, etc .. to Matrix. It's the future of distributed/federated real-time communication.

Matrix also support bridging between the non-matrix chat ecosystem (btw, gitter is or already is running Matrix: https://matrix.org/blog/2020/09/30/welc ... -to-matrix).

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Thu May 06, 2021 7:53 pm

faisal wrote:I would highly suggest using Matrix for real-time conversations. Several large open source projects are shifting from slack, gitter, IRC, etc .. to Matrix. It's the future of distributed/federated real-time communication.

Matrix also support bridging between the non-matrix chat ecosystem (btw, gitter is or already is running Matrix: https://matrix.org/blog/2020/09/30/welc ... -to-matrix).

Looks complex, I have not understood how to start yet, this is a small project and we mainly need char, screen sharing and video calls (optionally).

Giovanni

faisal

Postby faisal » Thu May 06, 2021 8:06 pm

It's super easy. You can even use a webclient if you don't want to install a client on your PC or phone.

Go to https://app.element.io/ .
Register an account on the matrix.org homeserver (it's like email - you have different hosting providers, but it is federated in the sense that all account on all hosting providers can talk to one another :D ). I believe you can even login with existing accounts (github, google, etc ..).
Once you login, you can create a room. Or, you can create a "community" (the + on the left hand side) which is basically a collection of rooms (you probably want to do this).
And that's it.

faisal

Postby faisal » Thu May 06, 2021 8:18 pm

Don't "pull an SVN on this one" Giovanni :) . History is watching you haha!

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Thu May 06, 2021 8:26 pm

I am a tech reactionary, it is a known fact :D

Vitaly already set up everything in slack, looking from IRC, for me both are alien technology, lets hear opinions.

Giovanni

faisal

Postby faisal » Thu May 06, 2021 8:32 pm

The setting up in Matrix is a 1 button click to create a room. If you want to create multiple rooms grouped together in a 'community' then add another button click to create the community first :).

Want me to "set it up" for you? What rooms do you want to start off with? Gimee some names.

https://matrix.to/#/+testchibioscommunity:matrix.org
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-05-06 155111.png

electronic_eel

Postby electronic_eel » Fri May 07, 2021 8:40 pm

I would suggest Matrix too.

I think the most important point is that there is not one entity that has full control over everything, like with Slack, Discord or similar, but that everyone can choose freely between different providers or even host their own server. And still communicate with each other, the federation system takes care of connecting everyone together. The same thing for frontends, where you can choose between browser based and native applications.

We successfully use Matrix at work for about 2 years now and it complements email and phone based communication very well there.

faisal

Postby faisal » Fri May 07, 2021 10:43 pm

Pile in everyone, matrix ftw!

electronic_eel wrote:I would suggest Matrix too.

I think the most important point is that there is not one entity that has full control over everything, like with Slack, Discord or similar, but that everyone can choose freely between different providers or even host their own server. And still communicate with each other, the federation system takes care of connecting everyone together. The same thing for frontends, where you can choose between browser based and native applications.

We successfully use Matrix at work for about 2 years now and it complements email and phone based communication very well there.

Are you hosting your own homeserver at work, or using matrix.org's homeserver?

Return to “Development and Feedback”