[NEWS] Stellar E automotive MCUs

This forum is dedicated to feedback, discussions about ongoing or future developments, ideas and suggestions regarding the ChibiOS projects are welcome. This forum is NOT for support.
Giovanni
Site Admin

[NEWS] Stellar E automotive MCUs

Postby Giovanni » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:34 am

Hi,

I want to open a topic about this, I have been working on this for a while but could not talk about it :)

https://www.st.com/en/automotive-microc ... -mcus.html

Basically it is a automotive-grade MCU with some STM32 heritage (it is NOT an STM32), the basic architecture is like and hybrid of G4 and H7 but with ASIL-B/D certification and other IPs of automotive derivation.

The core is a dual Cortex-M7 is lock/split configuration, this mean that you can have 2 SMP M7 cores with ASIL-B safety level or a single H7 core in lockstep configuration and ASIL-D level. RAM and Flash are fully ECC protected. The devices also includes a dedicated M0 core as HSM together with crypto acceleration.

The device is particularly strong in the analog department with lots of ADCs, DACs, comparators etc. It has also 2 HRTIM PWM timers, motor control and power conversion is clearly the main application field.

Porting ChibiOS should be "easy" being it a relative of STM32s, if there is interest this could be one of the next lines of development.

Unlike the "big" Stellar devices (those with R52 cores) this is more meant for mass market so it will be easier to approach. More information will be disclosed in next weeks.

Giovanni

electronic_eel

Re: [NEWS] Stellar E automotive MCUs

Postby electronic_eel » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:09 pm

These MCUs are just being announced now. When will you be able to buy a reel or tray of them from a regular distributor?

Recently ST declared that their fabs for STM32 are fully booked out until 2025 and new orders will only be shipped after that. This is the situation for MCUs that were in production for some years. I don't expect it to be different for newly announced ones. Maybe they make a short production run to make some demo units, but nothing you can use for a small production run.

I know you are enthusiastic about these MCUs and I don't want to stifle that, but the availibilty situation for STM32 means most people won't be able to use them for the next years.

This is why I'm more interested in the RP2040 as they are readily available in production quantities.

russian

Postby russian » Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:06 am

Any updates? :roll:
http://rusefi.com/ - electronic fuel injection

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:21 am

Hi,

Cheap boards, cheap debugger with OOCD support is what I heard, of course I will keep you updated.

Giovanni

russian

Postby russian » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:47 pm

Giovanni wrote:Hi,
More information will be disclosed in next weeks.

At the moment https://www.st.com/en/automotive-microc ... umentation says "proposal"

Would it be fair to say that we are not getting dev boards into our hands for another 2-4 years?
http://rusefi.com/ - electronic fuel injection

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:50 pm

I can't disclose anything right now... I will ask for information that can be made public.

Giovanni

Return to “Development and Feedback”