Eclipse ChibiOS Debug View on Linux

This forum is dedicated to feedback, discussions about ongoing or future developments, ideas and suggestions regarding the ChibiOS projects are welcome. This forum is NOT for support.
Cesare

Eclipse ChibiOS Debug View on Linux

Postby Cesare » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:15 am

Hello to everyone,
My development setup is this one:
- Linux Mint 20.3
- Eclipse 2022-06 configured with GNU MCU/ARM Eclipse (https://eclipse-embed-cdt.github.io)
- ChibiOS 7.0.1
- OpenOCD 0.11.0-4.1

I can compile and perfectly debug but I would like to add the debug support for ChibiOs.
After having found this article: https://www.playembedded.org/blog/assembling-chibistudio-from-scratch , I have added http://chibios.org/eclipse/chibistudio_new to the Eclipse repository (Help => Install New Software => Work with) and installed all available plugins.

Software installed:

Code: Select all

ChibiOS Eclipse Tools                                   4.3.0.202203051541
Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment   3.14.1200.v20220607-0700

Plugins installed:

chibios.org    ChibiOS/RT 6.x.x Debug Support   1.1.0.202203051541   org.chibios.tools.eclipse.debug.chibiosrt7
chibios.org    ChibiOS/RT 6.x.x Debug Support   2.1.0.202203051541   org.chibios.tools.eclipse.debug.chibiosrt6
chibios.org    ChibiOS Configuration Support         3.0.1.202203051541   org.chibios.tools.eclipse.config
chibios.org    ChibiStudio Branding Plugin           1.0.0          org.chibios.chibistudio.branding

I enabled the ChibiOS/RT 7.x.x Debug View and compiled the kernel with

#define CH_DBG_STATISTICS                   TRUE

but during the debug session the View "ChibiOS/RT 7.x.x Debug View" remains completely blank and nothing appears.

Can anyone give me suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Giovanni
Site Admin

Re: Eclipse ChibiOS Debug View on Linux

Postby Giovanni » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:41 pm

Hi,

Select "Thread1" in the debug view then click the refresh button (yellow circle) in the ChibiOS plugins view.

Giovanni

Cesare

Postby Cesare » Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:27 pm

Giovanni, it works!

Questions:
1- do you confirm that the refresh button (yellow arrows) works only when the target is halted?

2- If I click on the refresh button in tabs like Global, Timers, Statistics, the refresh time is less than 1 second, but if I do the same in tab "Threads" it takes
around 3 seconds (actually running 9 threads). Do you confirm this behavior?

3- Just a wish request, if possible in the next release of the Debug View plugin, would be appreciated if we can click on the "Prio" column (tab Threads) and get the rows sorted by priority.

Thanks so much for your prompt reply.

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:36 pm

Hi,

1) Correct.

2) It depends on the complexity and size of the data structures fetched from memory. The debug port is not very fast.

3) This is not a very high priority, I am not very into GUI programming so it would not be a few minutes thing :-), there are other developments ongoing.

Giovanni

Cesare

Postby Cesare » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:03 am

Giovanni wrote:Hi,
3) This is not a very high priority, I am not very into GUI programming so it would not be a few minutes thing :-), there are other developments ongoing.

Yes I understand perfectly.

Once again thank you so much for your support.

Cesare

Return to “Development and Feedback”