Trouble with make on Windows 10 (not really a bug of Chibios but a hint) Topic is solved

Report here problems in any of ChibiOS components. This forum is NOT for support.
HPachner

Trouble with make on Windows 10 (not really a bug of Chibios but a hint)  Topic is solved

Postby HPachner » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:44 am

Hi,

the version of make 4.3 shipped with latest Chibistdudio does not to work properly when called from Windows 10 cmd prompt. From Chibistudio there are no problems. This was tested with the demo STM32\NIL-STM32F051-DISCOVERY from trunk/master.
In this case there a strange errors from mangled paths or compile commands (at the last linker call for the .elf file). If the command from "make -n" is copied and inserted by hand into the console it works.

Workaround: different versions of make (3.8. or e.g. the 4.3 of the xPack Windows Build Tools) work.

There seem to be some known problems when passing long lines from make to the console of Win10 (cmd). Make 4.3 should be compiled with a special source define in order to pass long lines via a batch-file.

Best Regards,
HPachner

Giovanni
Site Admin

Re: Trouble with make on Windows 10 (not really a bug of Chibios but a hint)

Postby Giovanni » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:20 am

Hi,

So it is failing when using it from command line?

I would recommend to not add ChibiStudio internal paths directly to system path, this would avoid using it outside ChibiStudio. ChibiStudio enforces its own paths when it is launched.

Giovanni

HPachner

Re: Trouble with make on Windows 10 (not really a bug of Chibios but a hint)

Postby HPachner » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:39 pm

Hi,

yes, Chibistudios make is failing here on Win 10 (at least when project paths are longer) when called from the command line (CMD). The tool-paths for the CMD-window were taken from the Chibistudio startup-bat-file.

For me it's solved with the workaround posted - just a reference if anyone tries the same. The topic can be closed.

PS: The reason I came about was that some external gnu make 4.3 of msys2 did not work on the Chibios demo. Therefore, I tried the "original" of Chibistudio with same odd behavior.

regards,
HPachner

Return to “Bug Reports”