context switch observed inside S-locked state Topic is solved

Report here problems in any of ChibiOS components. This forum is NOT for support.
faisal

Re: context switch observed inside S-locked state

Postby faisal » Tue May 04, 2021 6:28 am

http://www.chibios.org/dokuwiki/doku.ph ... l_sections

"Critical sections" in virtually every other OS means a specific thing (are you aware of any exceptions?). There is an expectation that atomicity of actions taken with the "critical section" will be respected. I recommend describing the specific behavior of chibios "critical sections" in the documentation vis-a-vis typical RTOSes and the expectations that users will undoubtedly have if they read that term.

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Tue May 04, 2021 6:36 am

Those are critical sections, it is just that you are calling functions that perform context switch inside and other threads exit the critical section. The critical section is global, it is not per-thread.

The critical section is in effect non-stop from lock until unlock, don't call S-class functions if you don't want context switch in the middle because there is no delaying of context switch, it is done synchronously in the exact moment it is required because there is a "before" and an "after" context switch, no uncertainty allowed.

If it is unlike other RTOSes, well, I am glad to hear that :D , probably this is also why it is running circles around other "typical RTOSes".

Giovanni

sabdulqadir

Postby sabdulqadir » Wed May 05, 2021 5:08 am

Giovanni wrote:...
If it is unlike other RTOSes, well, I am glad to hear that :D , probably this is also why it is running circles around other "typical RTOSes".

Giovanni

Way to go Faisal, you made Giovanni's day today ;)

Coming back to the topic, m,y confusion stems from the fact that chThdSuspendS() would unlock the system when it reschedules. This is not apparent nor mentioned anywhere in the documentation (I may have missed something though), do we agree to that?

Thanks,
AQ

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Wed May 05, 2021 7:48 am

sabdulqadir wrote:Coming back to the topic, m,y confusion stems from the fact that chThdSuspendS() would unlock the system when it reschedules. This is not apparent nor mentioned anywhere in the documentation (I may have missed something though), do we agree to that?

S functions DO NOT unlock the system but DO perform a context switch, it is the thread switched-in that performs an unlock, this is inherent in passing control to another thread.

Functions like chThdSuspendS() put the thread to sleep, I think one should not expect for interrupts to be disabled while the thread is sleeping.

Giovanni

sabdulqadir

Postby sabdulqadir » Thu May 06, 2021 1:02 am

Giovanni wrote:
sabdulqadir wrote:Coming back to the topic, m,y confusion stems from the fact that chThdSuspendS() would unlock the system when it reschedules. This is not apparent nor mentioned anywhere in the documentation (I may have missed something though), do we agree to that?

S functions DO NOT unlock the system but DO perform a context switch, it is the thread switched-in that performs an unlock, this is inherent in passing control to another thread.

Functions like chThdSuspendS() put the thread to sleep, I think one should not expect for interrupts to be disabled while the thread is sleeping.

Giovanni

So yes, you are right, I followed chThdSuspendS() and it did not unlock the system. It just performed a context switch.
Then I tried looking for "implicit" or "inherent" ways that System may get unlocked. I found _dbg_check_unlock() within _port_switch_from_isr(). I understand this is where we unlock the system from isr perspective. What about threads? Is there a place where I should find these implicit unlock calls when my chThdSuspendS() context, switches to another thread?

Thanks,
AQ

psyco

Postby psyco » Thu May 06, 2021 3:04 am

The _dbg_check_unlock is an assert check for the lock state. It does not change the lock state.

I'm looking at the ARMv6-M port for reference. The unlock happens as "cpsie i" in chcoreasm.S, or "port_unlock_from_isr" in chcore.c NMIHandler (config option). However, that is for interrupt / asynchronously preempted threads only. The trick is that context-switching will actually leave the thread being switched out in the middle of __port_switch_from_isr. It will resume at the instruction after chSchDoPreemption. It will then hit the unlock and resume unlocked execution.

Synchronous preemption (chThdSuspendS / chSysGoSleepS), leaves the thread being switched out at chSysSwitch. It will resume execution from either of these calls.

The simplified call chains are:

Into synchronously preempted: (S-Locked) chSysGoSleepS -> __port_switch -> chSysGoSleepS (after chSysSwitch) -> User code (still S-Locked).

Into asynchronously preempted: (S-Locked) chSysGoSleepS -> __port_switch -> __port_switch_from_isr (in the middle of it, unlocking as it goes) -> User code (unlocked).

I hope this didn't add more confusion.

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Thu May 06, 2021 5:27 am

Absolutely, it is a good description.

IRQ "tail" processing is a very tricky part of the Cortex-M ports. It has to deal with the stacked interruptions and make sure that switch happens when the exceptions stack had been emptied.

Giovanni

sabdulqadir

Postby sabdulqadir » Sat May 08, 2021 9:16 am

Thanks for the reply psyco, really appreciate it.

psyco wrote:The _dbg_check_unlock is an assert check for the lock state. It does not change the lock state.

So I was following _dbg_check_unlock->_dbg_leave_lock()->ch.dbg.lock_cnt = (cnt_t)0
I assumed lock_cnt maintains the chibios system state (my concern).

About the global interrupt being enabled, yes you are right. On ARMv7-M it is handled by SVC_Handler() which is called after _dbg_check_unlock().

psyco wrote:Synchronous preemption (chThdSuspendS / chSysGoSleepS), leaves the thread being switched out at chSysSwitch. It will resume execution from either of these calls.

The simplified call chains are:

Into synchronously preempted: (S-Locked) chSysGoSleepS -> __port_switch -> chSysGoSleepS (after chSysSwitch) -> User code (still S-Locked).

Into asynchronously preempted: (S-Locked) chSysGoSleepS -> __port_switch -> __port_switch_from_isr (in the middle of it, unlocking as it goes) -> User code (unlocked).

I hope this didn't add more confusion.

Based on what you said, I still have few questions.
I have synchronous preemption (chThdSuspend()) and yet I see a system unlock.

I have a simple program, which only has "main" and "idle" threads.

main()->...->chThdSuspend()->...->chSysSwitch()
This is where "main" thread calls for a context switch and should switch into "idle" thread (and wait for interrupt).
I see
__port_switch_from_isr (resumed after chSchDoReschedule()) -> dbg_check_unlock() -> SVC_Handler() -> idle_thread()

Based on this, I am assuming as we are not getting into the "user code", your first statement stands. If the system gets into user code instead of idle thread, it would still be s-locked. Am I correct here?

Also,
I am confused on why after a context switch, execution resumed from the middle of port_switch_from_isr().
Is there any literature that I should be reading to help me understand scheduling and context switching on chibios (or any forum threads)?

Thanks psyco and Giovanni for your time.
AQ

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Sat May 08, 2021 9:23 am

After calling port_switch() you always return from a port_switch() called in another place. This is why you return in __port_switch_from_isr(), a port_switch() is called from there.

If trying to understand it is better if you work using -O0, that makes things much easier.

Giovanni

Return to “Bug Reports”