RF Transceiver Driver Structure

Discussions and support about ChibiOS/EX, the External Peripherals Abstraction Layer.
awygle

RF Transceiver Driver Structure

Postby awygle » Mon May 16, 2016 10:58 pm

Hi all,

I'm planning to start work on a driver for an RF transceiver (specifically the SX1278 from Semtech). It seems to me that EX is the place to do that.

I noted in the announcement post that there were plans for other devices besides MEMS sensors "like RF, microphones and much more", so I wanted to ask if there was a specific driver structure you had in mind for RF chips that I should make use of. If not, I'd certainly be willing to put together a suggestion for one as part of this work that I'm doing.

I had been thinking of doing separate "receiver" and "transmitter" base classes, combining those together into a derived "transceiver" class for devices which support both functions. I had also thought about possibly doing classes for specific types of modulation, e.g. FSK and ASK. Perhaps that's a bit too complicated, though...

Any opinions, suggestions, or concerns are welcomed. Thank you!

Giovanni
Site Admin

Re: RF Transceiver Driver Structure

Postby Giovanni » Tue May 17, 2016 10:21 am

Hi,

Probably radio modules are too different each other to create a meaningful common interface. I would create interfaces for the various standards, where there are standards and then specific drivers.

Giovanni

webbbn

Postby webbbn » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:06 pm

I know I'm replying to an old topic, but this is one that interests me.

I don't see why RF Transceiver would would be too different to generalize in a standard interface. I would take a look at the RadioHead library, which supports many different radio modules. It might not be the ideal interface for ChibiOS, but it would be worth looking at.

At the highest level you generally have the same operations no matter what the radio module is: send a packet, receive a packet, set the frequency/channel, set the datarate, get RSSI, etc.

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:09 pm

It is not a problem including it, propose a ChibiOS-style API for that based on that library maybe.

Giovanni

Return to “ChibiOS/EX”