ChibiStudio, new project from scratch in an arbitrary directory

This forum is about you. Feel free to discuss anything is related to embedded and electronics, your awesome projects, your ideas, your announcements, not necessarily related to ChibiOS but to embedded in general. This forum is NOT for support.
gmontero1959

ChibiStudio, new project from scratch in an arbitrary directory

Postby gmontero1959 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:25 pm

Hello,

I'm new to Chibi products. I have have been working for a long time developing products based on ARM and Cortex, and I have experience using RTOS's, like Keil RTX, CMSIS-ROTOS(1) and FreeRTOS, but mainly under Keil IDE, and, for STM32, using Cube and Cube-MX, and now I want to start with Chibi suite. I have used Eclipse a couple of times but just for testing tools, and I'm not an Eclipse expert. I have just installed ChibiStudio and tested the sample project for STM32F091 Nucleo board, and it works fine, but now I want to start playing with the RTOS's and the HAL in a clean way, and I don't know how to start a new barebone project from scratch, perhaps there is a how-to guide but I did´n found it yet.

I have tried copying the sample project to another directory (in another drive), and I couldn't build it yet. I switched to the empty user workplace, imported that project, and tried to build it as it was, then changed the makefile CHIBIOS path and got further but there are still some more dependencies (I get "No rule to make target '../../../os/lib/src/chmboxes.c', needed by 'build/obj/chmboxes.o'"), and besides I actually would like to start with a barebone main() project, with all the setup to use the whole suite, and start creating tasks, and so on. By the way I have also noticed that no OpenOCD device is listed under the external tools icon when I open that imported project (no launch history).

I think that there may exist over there some posts and material on this subject, but I did some googling and could'n find it yet, and I would highly appreciate some links so I could start faster evaluating this tools for future developments.

Thanks and Regards.

Giovanni
Site Admin

Re: ChibiStudio, new project from scratch in an arbitrary directory

Postby Giovanni » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:14 pm

Hello,

We have video tutorials and guides on http://www.playembedded.org

Cloning a project is explained here: http://www.playembedded.org/blog/demos- ... st_project
Video version here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-k2duKqnrA

Note that ChibiOS is not strictly linked to ChibiStudio, all projects are based on plain makefiles and can also be compiled from command line. You could also use Keil, IAR or other environments, it is just matter of setting up a project correctly, there are several examples. Importing projects in a different Eclipse environment is also possible.

Giovanni

gmontero1959

Postby gmontero1959 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:32 pm

Thank you Giovanni,

I have started again:
1. Switched to the empty user workspace
2. imported f091-nucleo demo project
3 cloned it by copy-paste and rename
4. changed CHIBIOS path variable inmakefile
5. renamed the file in the debug folder
6. edited it and changed the name of the project in 3 lines
7. the new debug option appears now under the debug button drop-down menu

When I select that new debug option project builds OK and opens the debugger but an error window shows "execution was suspended because of an error", if I press the run button it says "target request error ... "

I think the problem is that I have to do some externals tools configuration for the OCD, but in the drop-down menu of the external tools button I don't have the option "OpenOCD on ST-Link (prompts for .cfg target configuration)". I think there some configuration missing in this workspace user, because it is right in workspace_trunk and I can flash and run OK the original demo project form there.

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:05 am

Hi,

That option appears when you have the global "ChibiOS (whole tree)" project open in your workspace, also import the project in the ChibiOS root.

Giovanni

RoccoMarco

Postby RoccoMarco » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:05 am

Giovanni wrote:That option appears when you have the global "ChibiOS (whole tree)" project open in your workspace, also import the project in the ChibiOS root.

Or just open the project ChibiStudio Tools that should be already there
Ciao,
RM

gmontero1959

Postby gmontero1959 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:28 pm

Thanks a lot Giovanni and Marco!

I have imported "CHIBIOS (whole tree), which shows up in the list when importing project I select Chbios version root directory (c:\ChibiStudio\chibios182), and then the external tools options appeared and I could open the ST-Link option, select the config file for F0, and launch my project.

As you can see I'm not quite used to eclipse world and free tools, I'm badly used to commercial tools such as Keil and IAR :D

I think I will be able to start playing with the suite now, and hope I'll use it for some future developments.

Ancora grazie mille!!

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:32 pm

Hi,

It is the opposite for me, after working so much with Eclipse I really cannot stand proprietary IDEs ;) Eclipse is not perfect, maybe it is a bit slow, but its flexibility is the real selling point.

I can do embedded, java, desktop C/C++, python, perl, XML, freemarker etc etc without leaving my Eclipse setup.

Giovanni

Return to “User Projects”