STSPIN32F0 (STM32F031C6) ChibiOS

This forum is about you. Feel free to discuss anything is related to embedded and electronics, your awesome projects, your ideas, your announcements, not necessarily related to ChibiOS but to embedded in general. This forum is NOT for support.
OmegaDryan

STSPIN32F0 (STM32F031C6) ChibiOS

Postby OmegaDryan » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:19 pm

Hi guys,

First, let me introduce myself.
Let me start saying that I am new to the embedded world. Despite I have been using Arduino for a few years now, even on Nucleo32 boards, I never really wrote any real code using STM32CubeIDE or similar.

I am currently working on an R&D motor controller task using the STSPIN32F0 (the core MCU is the STM32F031C6). STM already provides a motor controller library for it, and I was able to make it work. However, during my journey, I found out the VESC motor controller has been written using the ChubiOs, and that's why I started to get interested in ChibiOS.

The first question: is the STSPIN32F0 supported by ChibiOS? The core is an STM32F031C6 and the other peripherals (Opamp, comparator, and pre-driver) can be programmed using CubeMX. So my understanding is that I should be able to use ChibiOS for it.

Assuming that the board is supported (ADC, PWM, Serial). Is ChibiOS only meant for real-time or can I use the ChibiOS HAL libraries to speed up the development process without the need for a real-time system? STM32 is also providing HAL libraries but the environment seems to me not very user friendly me.

Thanks a lot, and extra Kudos to Giovanni!
Attachments
2020-07-30 12_13_44-stspin32f0a.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.png

Giovanni
Site Admin

Re: STSPIN32F0 (STM32F031C6) ChibiOS

Postby Giovanni » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:31 pm

Hi,

The HAL can be used with or without an RTOS by just changing few inclusions in makefiles. The scenario is unusual, most choose to have RT or NIL also.

Giovanni

Return to “User Projects”