Web tool for ChibiOS Configuration

This forum is about you. Feel free to discuss anything is related to embedded and electronics, your awesome projects, your ideas, your announcements, not necessarily related to ChibiOS but to embedded in general. This forum is NOT for support.
ceremcem

Web tool for ChibiOS Configuration

Postby ceremcem » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:45 pm

Hi,

I created a web based hardware configuration tool for ChibiOS: https://github.com/ceremcem/chibios-configurator

UX idea is simple:

1. Select your MCU
2. Configure pins via clicks, dropdowns, sliders, buttons.
3. Download the hardware definition files

It's currently in alpha stage. I'm using my STM32F030F4P6 MCU board for development.

If there are volunteers for helping, I need:

* UX feedbacks (like, "We should select "this" from dropdown, enter the value via a slider, select that by radio buttons", etc.)
* Test configurations: "In order this application to work on that MCU, hardware configuration must be as follows: ..."

Any feedbacks are welcome.

Giovanni
Site Admin

Re: Web tool for ChibiOS Configuration

Postby Giovanni » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:50 pm

Hi,

It looks like an awful amount of work there, good job.

When I try to download a configuration it gives me an error, what kind of files should it generate?

Giovanni

ceremcem

Postby ceremcem » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:17 pm

I caught the exception that caused by a "null configuration" feed. I just fixed it.

While fixing, I remembered a very important detail: Since I couldn't find a way to extract Alternate Function definitions from CubeMX database (here is the question on my.st.com) I had to manually create the Alternate Function table (see servers/stm/af-mappings) and currently there is only for STM32F030x4.

That's why you currently need to select STM32F030x4 or open an issue and I'll create an appropriate JSON file for that MCU. (Giovanni, if you point me a way to extract the AF definitions from somewhere, I would appreciate that.)

Example Use Case

1. Name your board within "Board Name" input.
2. Click "Get MCU's" button to fetch all defined MCU's.
3. Select your desired MCU (STM32F030x4 currently)
4. Configure some pins by clicking the buttons on Pin# column and select appropriate mode via dropdowns.
5. Click "Download" button.

Giovanni wrote:what kind of files should it generate?

It will generate board.c, board.h, chconf.h, halconf.h; regarding to this template.

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:24 am

Hi,

The problem I can see is that board and configuration files change over time, this will create a tool update problem for you.

Giovanni

ceremcem

Postby ceremcem » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:42 am

Giovanni wrote:Hi,

The problem I can see is that board and configuration files change over time, this will create a tool update problem for you.

Giovanni

Actually that's exactly my point! :) I'm planning to place a dropdown over time for ChibiOS version selection to create appropriate configuration files.

The generated configuration file (the JSON file) won't change over time because it only describes the user's intention. So, when a user wants to update his or her project, s/he will upload the config.json, select the desired ChibiOS version and download the new version.

That setup will take time and energy, but I think it's definitely going to worth it.

Giovanni
Site Admin

Postby Giovanni » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:53 am

Note that for board files you could generate the .chcfg file and use the ChibiOS generator for actual output, that is always aligned.

Giovanni

rreignier

Postby rreignier » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:20 pm

Nice tool!
Just a note, when downloading the zip, it seems that my browser (Firefox) thinks it is a plain text document and try to open the zip in text editor... Maybe a MIME type issue?

ceremcem

Postby ceremcem » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:32 pm

rreignier wrote:Nice tool!
Just a note, when downloading the zip, it seems that my browser (Firefox) thinks it is a plain text document and try to open the zip in text editor... Maybe a MIME type issue?

Yes, that was a MIME type issue. Fixed, thanks.

Return to “User Projects”