stm32f7 support status? :)
Moderator: RoccoMarco
-
Rick Burnett
- Posts: 150
- Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:20 pm
Re: stm32f7 support status? :)
Okay!
So I've finally got a few F7 chips and replaced an F4 on my board. When I was reading through the literature from ST they indicated you could run F4 compiled code without changing it on the F7, that it was compatible.
So, I got OpenOCD patched and I modified the cfg file to use my F4 ST-LINK with the F7 information and I can in fact talk to my board. I uploaded the last ELF I had compiled, had no problem, then tried to run it and nothing happens.
I am aware that full F7 support is for 3.0 and later. This is on 2.6.6 and I know that I am on my own for right now. I want to test the pipelining with my code base before moving on.
So, in knowing that, any idea what I need to change somewhere to get this F4 code to execute?
Thanks!
Rick
So I've finally got a few F7 chips and replaced an F4 on my board. When I was reading through the literature from ST they indicated you could run F4 compiled code without changing it on the F7, that it was compatible.
So, I got OpenOCD patched and I modified the cfg file to use my F4 ST-LINK with the F7 information and I can in fact talk to my board. I uploaded the last ELF I had compiled, had no problem, then tried to run it and nothing happens.
I am aware that full F7 support is for 3.0 and later. This is on 2.6.6 and I know that I am on my own for right now. I want to test the pipelining with my code base before moving on.
So, in knowing that, any idea what I need to change somewhere to get this F4 code to execute?
Thanks!
Rick
Re: stm32f7 support status? :)
Rick Burnett wrote:the literature from ST they indicated you could run F4 compiled code without changing it on the F7, that it was compatible.
I wonder if the code - assembly code - is compatible, but peripheral stuff is different? This case what ST is promises for binary compatibility is pretty much useless in real life. After all something must be different between F4 and F7 right?
-
Rick Burnett
- Posts: 150
- Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:20 pm
Re: stm32f7 support status? :)
I didn't think anything changed in the peripherals that I remember seeing. Most of the changes I was seeing were to the pipeline architecture and other under the cover aspects. I think they did add some things, but those aren't required to be used when running older code.
-
Rick Burnett
- Posts: 150
- Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:20 pm
Re: stm32f7 support status? :)
Rick Burnett wrote:I didn't think anything changed in the peripherals that I remember seeing. Most of the changes I was seeing were to the pipeline architecture and other under the cover aspects. I think they did add some things, but those aren't required to be used when running older code.
Well now that I've been digging deeper, things are definitely in some different locations in terms of RAM and such. Looking through the reference manual, SRAM address is different and the CCM is now DTCM? I disabled the FPU in the code for now and it gets farther, the code actually does something (not sure what, haha, but my lights change on my board).
I'm not seeing any STM32F7 specific files in the 3.0.1 release to even reference to hack this together so not sure. Guess I can keep reading. I'm wondering what else moved around.
- Giovanni
- Site Admin
- Posts: 14891
- Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
- Has thanked: 1202 times
- Been thanked: 996 times
Re: stm32f7 support status? :)
The F4 is similar to F7 but not quite identical nor compatible, it is marketing BS.
SPI is v2, I2C is V2, USARTS are v2 on the F7, so the registers layout is different and there are also other differences.
The F7 code is not in 3.0.1, it is on the repository trunk.
Giovanni
SPI is v2, I2C is V2, USARTS are v2 on the F7, so the registers layout is different and there are also other differences.
The F7 code is not in 3.0.1, it is on the repository trunk.
Giovanni
-
Rick Burnett
- Posts: 150
- Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:20 pm
Re: stm32f7 support status? :)
Ahh the joy of marketing BS, well thank for setting me straight! That's unfortunate, but then again, hopefully the updated units will have some benefit for me? (Which usually just means one set of bugs is replaced with a different set of bugs). Haha.
So, I've downloaded the trunk and over the next few days I will begin porting my code over to see if I can get it working (a copy of the code). I use quite a few different drivers so this will be a good chance to test out some of the conversions you've started.
In my code I am using:
- FPU
- DMA transfers to SMC (Driving LCD)
- ADC
- SPI
- I2C
- UART
- TIMERS/INTERRUPTS
- DFU (not working yet on old setup yet)
I *think* that's it
So, I've downloaded the trunk and over the next few days I will begin porting my code over to see if I can get it working (a copy of the code). I use quite a few different drivers so this will be a good chance to test out some of the conversions you've started.
In my code I am using:
- FPU
- DMA transfers to SMC (Driving LCD)
- ADC
- SPI
- I2C
- UART
- TIMERS/INTERRUPTS
- DFU (not working yet on old setup yet)
I *think* that's it
Re: stm32f7 support status? :)
Could someone share with OpenOCD build with STM32F7 support ?
I cant find executable in the Internet ;/
I cant find executable in the Internet ;/
- Giovanni
- Site Admin
- Posts: 14891
- Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
- Has thanked: 1202 times
- Been thanked: 996 times
Re: stm32f7 support status? :)
Download the ST-sponsored Eclipse environment, install, pull OpenOCD out, uninstal, done 
Modify the launcher as follow because they changed something and it does not recognize the default paths:
-c "telnet_port 4444" -s "C:\ChibiStudio\tools\openocd\scripts" -f "interface/stlink-v2-1.cfg" -f "${file_prompt}"
Giovanni
Modify the launcher as follow because they changed something and it does not recognize the default paths:
-c "telnet_port 4444" -s "C:\ChibiStudio\tools\openocd\scripts" -f "interface/stlink-v2-1.cfg" -f "${file_prompt}"
Giovanni
-
Rick Burnett
- Posts: 150
- Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:20 pm
Re: stm32f7 support status? :)
I'm on OSX, so I built mine using the "brew install --HEAD" method, then going in and recompiling and installing it using the patching instructions listed at the bottom of this page:
http://www.carminenoviello.com/en/2015/ ... 46g-disco/
http://www.carminenoviello.com/en/2015/ ... 46g-disco/
Re: stm32f7 support status? :)
I was trying with this ac6 openocd but I was missing -s "C:\ChibiStudio\tools\openocd\scripts". Thanks a lot.
I just started prepering msys2 to build my own openocd but now I skip it
I just started prepering msys2 to build my own openocd but now I skip it