Better Embedded 2012

This forum is dedicated to feedback, discussions about ongoing or future developments, ideas and suggestions regarding the ChibiOS projects are welcome. This forum is NOT for support.
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Better Embedded 2012

Post by Giovanni »

Hi,

Most likely I will participate to Better Embedded 2012 with a hand-on training regarding ChibiOS/RT.

The conference is organized by Develer srl, the company behind BeRTOS, they invited me for a talk or a training, I opted for a training, talking to a huge crowd is not one of my skills.

I am posting this here in case somebody is interested. I plan to talk about ChibiOS/RT, architecture, environment and finally a demonstration on HW. The conference will be held in Florence at the end of September so it could be a good opportunity for tourism too.

BTW, I wish to use this thread to collect ideas for the training. Thoughts?

Giovanni
mabl
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:19 am
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Better Embedded 2012

Post by mabl »

Hi Giovanni,

given that the title of the conference is "Better Embedded" I'd propose the following focus:

  • Firstly, I guess there are quite a lot of embedded programmers who have previously only used AVR/PIC processors with no RTOS.
  • Secondly, somebody looking to improve his skills will probably look into using 32bit CPUs in the future, say the cortex m3 series.

So I think it could be a good idea to begin where these guys stoped - Start by showing multiple threads, semaphores and mutexes. Demonstrate ways to debug stack usage and than move on to IPC. Maybe you could get sponsored Discovery Kits from ST? Always give them time to absorb the idea of several tasks running in parallel. They have years of training thinking serially :-D

BTW, what's the conference language?
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: Better Embedded 2012

Post by Giovanni »

Good points, probably it should focus on "32bits embedded made easy", "good portability of code across devices", "tools" and "complete environment".

About the language, The web site is in Italian but I am planning for a training in English, I'll ask.

About the Discovery kits, I am trying but ST is an elephant, I always ended up buying my own Discovery boards.

Giovanni
kgysmits
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 10:16 am

Re: Better Embedded 2012

Post by kgysmits »

If possible put the training on youtube too, you'll reach a larger audience.
We approached ST for sponsoring through their marketing manager, i happened to have his business card from some conference.
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: Better Embedded 2012

Post by Giovanni »

Could you PM me your contact? I'll forward it.

Giovanni
tinito
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:32 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Better Embedded 2012

Post by tinito »

Hi Giovanni,

about the discovery kits I can give you some ST contacts too, they gave us 10 kits for a university class on embedded development, and they looked pretty happy about that ;)

Do you have an estimate of how many boards will you need?
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: Better Embedded 2012

Post by Giovanni »

Hi,

If you could give me the contacts I will ask them immediately (or you could do that directly).

It would be cool to give a kit to all people attending the training, they could use it immediately during the training. I don't know yet how many people will be present in this specific training, I think something like 10-30.

The training should take place in the afternoon of the first day, 4 hours with a break at 16:00.

Giovanni
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: Better Embedded 2012

Post by Giovanni »

PS. of course if you know people that could be interested feel free to increase that number :)

Giovanni
tinito
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:32 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Better Embedded 2012

Post by tinito »

I'm sorry I forgot to subscribe this topic and i've noticed your reply just now.
I'ìm going to write an email to ST with you in cc right now!
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: Better Embedded 2012

Post by Giovanni »

Hi,

ST is already acting, I received a call yesterday about this, we should have plenty discovery kits for those attending the demonstration :)

About the conference, I have a discount code, if somebody is interested PM me.

Giovanni
Post Reply