[NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

This forum is dedicated to feedback, discussions about ongoing or future developments, ideas and suggestions regarding the ChibiOS projects are welcome. This forum is NOT for support.
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Post by Giovanni »

Users in the "editos" wiki group have now access to the new "Private Area" in the wiki, the material is in there. Barthess added to the group.

The material is not much yet but feedback is welcome.

Giovanni
User avatar
Tectu
Posts: 1225
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 9:50 am

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Post by Tectu »

I gave it a short look and I like what I see so far.
What I would (obviously) recommend to add is a chapter talking about 3rd party libraries. Which ones do work out of the box with ChibiOS/RT, what can they do and probably a short "tutorial" (quotes as there is nothing really but modifying the Makefile and initializing it.


~ Tectu
User avatar
barthess
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:55 pm
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Post by barthess »

Strange. I can not login on chibios.org nor reset my password.

Code: Select all

Looks like there was an error on sending the password mail. Please contact the admin!
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Post by Giovanni »

There is an issue with email, see PM for password.

Giovanni
User avatar
barthess
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:55 pm
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Post by barthess »

Now it works. Thanks.

Giovanni wrote:One frequent question I have had to answer is: Why creating another RTOS?, my usual answer is: Why not? it is not like the perfect RTOS has already been written.

I like to answer such questions "Because I can"

History part:
I like to read historical notes very much. Probably it worth to increase size of this part.
About RTOS name. Why you do not want "serious enterprise" name? P.S. in Russian
electronics community its name transformed to similar sounding Russian word "Чибис"
(lapwing bird http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapwing). Obviously not a serious too.

About whole accessible material:
It is short but comprehensive. I like it.
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Post by Giovanni »

It is just that you see such important looking names for things that are jokes, so I wanted a fun name for something that is dead serious.

About the material, I tend to be synthetic, probably too synthetic, based on feedback I will expand the various parts, now I want to define all sections and the topics to be included.

Giovanni
tinito
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:32 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Post by tinito »

Giovanni, the book project is a big news!
It is of great interest to me, I may use it as material for university lectures, there are almost no resources with well-organized practical examples.
I'm interested for sure in looking at the existing material and give my 2 cents.
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Post by Giovanni »

Hi,

You need to register on the wiki.

Giovanni
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Post by Giovanni »

I forgot registration is disabled....

See PMs.

Giovanni
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Post by Giovanni »

The material keeps growing. Probably it would be a good idea to create 2 distinct books. The first one would be about RTOS concepts and the RT kernel in details. The second about the HAL and playing with the STM32 (more "fun").

This would also let me to focus on the kernel part and have it ready earlier.

Giovanni
Post Reply