Page 2 of 8

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:17 pm
by Giovanni
Users in the "editos" wiki group have now access to the new "Private Area" in the wiki, the material is in there. Barthess added to the group.

The material is not much yet but feedback is welcome.

Giovanni

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:47 pm
by Tectu
I gave it a short look and I like what I see so far.
What I would (obviously) recommend to add is a chapter talking about 3rd party libraries. Which ones do work out of the box with ChibiOS/RT, what can they do and probably a short "tutorial" (quotes as there is nothing really but modifying the Makefile and initializing it.


~ Tectu

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:50 am
by barthess
Strange. I can not login on chibios.org nor reset my password.

Code: Select all

Looks like there was an error on sending the password mail. Please contact the admin!

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:58 am
by Giovanni
There is an issue with email, see PM for password.

Giovanni

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:24 am
by barthess
Now it works. Thanks.

Giovanni wrote:One frequent question I have had to answer is: Why creating another RTOS?, my usual answer is: Why not? it is not like the perfect RTOS has already been written.

I like to answer such questions "Because I can"

History part:
I like to read historical notes very much. Probably it worth to increase size of this part.
About RTOS name. Why you do not want "serious enterprise" name? P.S. in Russian
electronics community its name transformed to similar sounding Russian word "Чибис"
(lapwing bird http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapwing). Obviously not a serious too.

About whole accessible material:
It is short but comprehensive. I like it.

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:28 am
by Giovanni
It is just that you see such important looking names for things that are jokes, so I wanted a fun name for something that is dead serious.

About the material, I tend to be synthetic, probably too synthetic, based on feedback I will expand the various parts, now I want to define all sections and the topics to be included.

Giovanni

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:13 pm
by tinito
Giovanni, the book project is a big news!
It is of great interest to me, I may use it as material for university lectures, there are almost no resources with well-organized practical examples.
I'm interested for sure in looking at the existing material and give my 2 cents.

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:39 pm
by Giovanni
Hi,

You need to register on the wiki.

Giovanni

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:46 am
by Giovanni
I forgot registration is disabled....

See PMs.

Giovanni

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:00 am
by Giovanni
The material keeps growing. Probably it would be a good idea to create 2 distinct books. The first one would be about RTOS concepts and the RT kernel in details. The second about the HAL and playing with the STM32 (more "fun").

This would also let me to focus on the kernel part and have it ready earlier.

Giovanni