Page 11 of 14

Re: GLCD and Touchpad Library

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:16 am
by Abhishek
That's great! I'm definitely interested :)

Anyways I guess you could try and cram in sockets for both SSD1289 and S6D1121. It might be possible.

Also if you're interested in backlight control, you might want to add a 3.3V LDO to the backlight and expose it's SHDN pin since the S6D1121 board doesn't have it.

Also on the eBay site from where you(and myself)/bought that LCD From seems to be selling another 3.2" module having same pinout as the S6D1121.

Re: GLCD and Touchpad Library

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:20 am
by mobyfab
Just found this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 0923582222

Obviously, making a PCB would be cheaper :)

If you can make a connector for my board I might be interested.

http://www.bestelecs.com/wiki/index.php?title=4.3_inch_TFT_LCD_Controller_Board

Re: GLCD and Touchpad Library

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:57 am
by Giovanni
That motherboard is really interesting, is the graphic controller a supported one?

Giovanni

Re: GLCD and Touchpad Library

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:16 am
by Abhishek
That's a lot of $$$ to burn as the Discovery board isn't included. I'd buy some more boards instead ;)

Anyways, I'm using 0.1mm jumper wires on a dot matrix board with proper headers to connect the LCD to the mainboard. You can find links to some pics at my github project page https://github.com/abhishek-kakkar/STM32F4Player/

Image

Image

I'll design something like the F4Discovery with audio, ethernet, LCD, touchscreen, SDIO,... sometime maybe next year. So that I can use the audio, FSMC and SDIO without conflicts.

Re: GLCD and Touchpad Library

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:27 am
by Abhishek
@Giovanni, To the extent of my understanding, the controller looks to be an ILI9325 as the LCD has a 37pin FPC Connector. The previous batch of the 2.4" LCDs used to have this one, but now they have replaced it with a S6D1121 module that has a 44pin FPC inside.

Sadly, ILI9325 isn't supported yet. But it shouldn't be too difficult, just a few register writes to be changed.

But anyways, looks like the designers have no idea of the pin conflicts between codec, FSMC and SDIO. They just wired up an pricey but good-looking add-on board. They could have at least included a camera module.

Re: GLCD and Touchpad Library

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:38 am
by mobyfab
Indeed it is an ILI9325.

There are many libraries for this display so it should not be a problem to make it work.

Also we can make a batch of nice PCBs for a few LCD modules via seeedstudio, should not cost more then 10€/pcb.

Re: GLCD and Touchpad Library

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:51 am
by Abhishek
This is just a wild idea.

Giovanni, what about approaching the Olimex guys and requesting them to build a board containing all these facilities. They could use their STM32 E407 board as a starting point and adding an audio codec, accelerometer and 3.2" Graphical LCD with touchscreen to it (or even DCMI). I'd like an option to make it battery-powered so that we could get it do power management stuff.

This board could be called chibiBoard (??) and could be the official 'community board', running the graphics, ethernet and USB demos.

Later on we can have applications running around this board and which can also be loaded from the SD card (some boot system, your idea for the next gen chibiOS). It'd also be useful idea to showcase the abilities of ChibiOS.

Re: GLCD and Touchpad Library

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:53 am
by Giovanni
Probably it would be a better idea to make a similar MB for the STM32-E407, it has much more pins not conflicting with on-board stuff.
I would add:
- LCD with touchpad
- A serial port.
- Large RAM on FSMC.
- Camera interface (only if not conflicting).
- Some SPI and I2C devices for testing (EEPROMs for example).
- Remaining I/Os brought on a connector.
- Some high current outputs (open drain mosfets for example).
- Some protected inputs.

EDIT: Abhishek, thought it first :)

Re: GLCD and Touchpad Library

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:57 am
by Abhishek
Giovanni, I spent 10-15 mins typing this on the tiny screen of my Nokia 701. ;)

Re: GLCD and Touchpad Library

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:15 pm
by Abhishek
I must admit, I also thought of the external memory part.

But my idea now will be to run it on battery power. We could use a 3.7V 2500mAh battery with a charge controller. What do you have to say?

I just saw this on eBay, looks cool: http://ebay.com/itm/Mini-STM32-STM32F10 ... 4aaa11e77f