Page 21 of 26
Re: STM32 Ethernet Demo
Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:33 pm
by Giovanni
Thanks for finding, I fixed it on the repository, bug 3564134.
Giovanni
Re: STM32 Ethernet Demo
Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:55 am
by DeusExMachina
I have found this:
http://blog.tkjelectronics.dk/2012/08/e ... ernal-phy/DP83848 + stm32F4discovery looks cool and cheap!
I've ordered DP83848 Phy breakout board on aliexpress for 14.30$
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/203185351.htmlMay be it will be a cool ethernet demo for chibios if anybody can connect this devices together.
UPD
Sorry, i missed some pages in a thread...

Re: STM32 Ethernet Demo
Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:00 pm
by Giovanni
It should work without problems, it has been done already if you read back in this thread.
Giovanni
Re: STM32 Ethernet Demo
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:52 pm
by tkj
Dear Giovanni.
Thank you for your development with the ChibiOS.
I am the creator of TKJ Electronics, the blog link listed above.
We sucessfully managed to get the STM32F4DISCOVERY board working with the Ethernet PHY Module once, but now when we try again our router recognizes the board (MAC address and IP) but we can't ping the board nor go enter the webserver.
So I thought I would give ChibiOS a try but couldn't manage to compile the project.
I have downloaded "ChibiOS_2.4.2" and extracted "lwip-1.4.0.zip" and the "ChibiOS_trunk_STM32F4_lwIP.zip" from Jacon.
Though when I do a 'make' inside "ARMCM4-STM32F407-DISCOVERY" it ends up giving me an error about a missing linker file for the USB, "usb_lld.c", file.
Would it be possible for you to zip up a working project for me for the STM32F4DISCOVERY with the ChibiOS and lwIP?
Thanks a lot.
Best Regards
Thomas Jespersen
Re: STM32 Ethernet Demo
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:55 am
by Giovanni
Hi,
The latest version is 2.5.0 and you don't need to add anything, there are two demos for the Discovery ready to be compiled. You may also the latest code by checking out the repository, usually also the trunk code is in excellent shape.
There is a Ethernet demo for the Olimex STM32-P407 that should be "easily" adapted to the Discovery, basically you have to change the reference in the Makefile to the board files. You need to create modified board files starting from the Discovery ones and add the settings for the Ethernet PHY. If I remember well there is a conflicting pin but other developers made it work, read back in this thread.
If somebody can post an updated demo for the Discovery please do, probably I should just add it to the distribution.
Giovanni
Re: STM32 Ethernet Demo
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:29 pm
by tkj
Giovanni wrote:Hi,
The latest version is 2.5.0 and you don't need to add anything, there are two demos for the Discovery ready to be compiled. You may also the latest code by checking out the repository, usually also the trunk code is in excellent shape.
There is a Ethernet demo for the Olimex STM32-P407 that should be "easily" adapted to the Discovery, basically you have to change the reference in the Makefile to the board files. You need to create modified board files starting from the Discovery ones and add the settings for the Ethernet PHY. If I remember well there is a conflicting pin but other developers made it work, read back in this thread.
If somebody can post an updated demo for the Discovery please do, probably I should just add it to the distribution.
Giovanni
I have now tried to combine Jacon's code with the latest 2.5.0 version and I do not get any compiling errors.
Though when I flash the firmware the LED set to blink inside the "Thread1()", doesn't blink.
If you guys got a minute or two I would really appreciate if you could download my zipped ChibiOS folder with the changes I've made.
Then you should be able to have a look for yourself.
As I'm not a regular user of Makefiles, or well of course I am but I am always using an IDE to generate them for me ( silly me

), I haven't worked out the import process of getting this project inside of Eclipse so I could debug it with OpenOCD.
I guess you have a much better experience with this so it would be snap for you to do.
The zip file can be found here:
http://www.tkjelectronics.dk/uploads/ChibiOS_2-5-0_lwIP_Discovery.zipThanks a lot.
Thomas
Re: STM32 Ethernet Demo
Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:18 pm
by mabl
Hi Thomas,
please reread Giovanni's post. You do *not* need to adapt any of Jacons code. It is obsolete. All you need to get Ethernet running is inside of ChibiOS trunk.
Re: STM32 Ethernet Demo
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:30 pm
by DeusExMachina
I tried to mix ARMCM4-STM32F407-LWIP with STM32F407-DISCOVERY demos using Thomas connections layout, but I cant win

I think it's worth to create STM32F407-DISCOVERY-LWIP demo in Chibios distribution, but I am afraid it's too complicated task for me.
Re: STM32 Ethernet Demo
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:56 pm
by tkj
DeusExMachina wrote:I tried to mix ARMCM4-STM32F407-LWIP with STM32F407-DISCOVERY demos using Thomas connections layout, but I cant win

I think it's worth to create STM32F407-DISCOVERY-LWIP demo in Chibios distribution, but I am afraid it's too complicated task for me.
I agree with you. I gave up on this task too and have been trying to work out a port on my own without any RTOS.
Currently I have switched to the STM32-E407 board from Olimex where I have actually just quit using ChibiOS because of a lot of debugging issues - making it completely impossible to debug at all.
So now I have switched to FreeRTOS and I am using the ST provided examples for the Ethernet part as a reference, and it works like a charm - including the debugging

Re: STM32 Ethernet Demo
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:33 pm
by Tectu
I keep hearing from all people that they have debugging issues with ChibiOS/RT... Can anyone please tell me what issues you run into? You guys know that thanks to a community member called mabl, OpenOCD supports ChibiOS/RT which allows you to see each thread and step through each thread frame step by step?
~ Tectu