Page 7 of 8

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:20 pm
by cxran2wms
I want to buy a paper copy!

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:45 pm
by Giovanni
Hi,

cxran2wms wrote:I want to buy a paper copy!


Paper copies will be available once released.

Giovanni

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:11 pm
by Raul
Hi Giovanni,

One comment about the last example at <edited>

Code: Select all

/*
 * LED timer callback.
 */
static void led_cb(void *arg) {
 
  LED_toggle();
  chVTSet(&led_vt, MS2ST(500), led_cb, NULL);
}


Presumably chVTSetI should be used instead since the callback would be called from ISR context.

Raul

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:49 pm
by Giovanni
Hi,

Thanks fixing.

I see that now the book become public stuff, brilliant idea... who do I need to thank for this?

Giovanni

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:31 pm
by Giovanni
Hi,

Yesterday I discovered that the book content has been leaked and was (and still is) available on the web.

This basically removes any reason for me to continue the work, the book project has been put on indefinite hold. Accesses to the original material have been revoked.

Giovanni

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:32 am
by Raul
Hi Giovanni,

I am sorry to hear that your book has been publicly disclosed without your consent. Whoever did it should have checked with you previously, even if the intention was positive, I am sure that your decision
will cause some regret to the unauthorized publisher but what's even more unfortunate would be that all that hard work putting together such well structured (and needed) documentation will never make it.
And that's where it gets painful, specially for the newcomers (where I include myself). Personally, unaware of the circumstances, I have happened to benefit from reading the book while taking my firsts steps with ChibiOS, I have pretty much been referring to it daily since came across it. I find its contents incredibly valuable, the book is like the glue that brings together the detail documentation in sourceforge and adds conceptual information and that's critical for stuff to click in, good documentation draws interests and all in all provide (more) developers with a clearer understanding of all the features which would yield to better quality apps, etc.

I hope these lines help to provide some encouragement to continue working on the book, there are lots of us looking forward to getting a paper copy, even if there are readily available digital drafts, as a sign of appreciation for bring up this awesome RTOS, which is great by itself. But it will surely be even better complemented by a book(s) and I am positive that the present and future users will share this feeling.

Keep it up,

Raul

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:02 pm
by Giovanni
Probably it will reappear behind a paywall after the issues have been cleared.

I would not hold my breath because the infringing material is still there, I am evaluating my options.

Giovanni

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:14 pm
by awesome1337
It has been deleted if you mean this link (which is indexed by google):
http://chibios-book.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:32 pm
by Giovanni
awesome1337 wrote:It has been deleted if you mean this link (which is indexed by google):
http://chibios-book.readthedocs.org/en/latest/


Thanks, it is what I was waiting for. Sorry for all the noise :)

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:27 am
by Giovanni
The book is freely accessible from the homepage now: http://www.chibios.org/dokuwiki/doku.ph ... book:start

It will stay this way for a while.

Giovanni