Page 1 of 1
XMEGA Support Status?
Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:33 am
by JetForMe
It seems like very little progress has been made on the XMEGA port in the last year. Why is that? Is there something inherently wrong with the XMEGA that prevents people from using it? I really prefer it to MEGA; it's much more consistently laid out, and the parts are cheaper and more capable. But it seems to be languishing.
I'm about to start a new board, and I'd really like to use the XMEGA.
Re: XMEGA Support Status?
Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:54 pm
by alexblack
Hi.
JetForMe wrote:It seems like very little progress has been made on the XMEGA port in the last year. Why is that? Is there something inherently wrong with the XMEGA that prevents people from using it?
Yes, it is 2 times more price and 10 times slower then STM32F103. Now is the epoch of 32 bit controllers. It is uncompetitive.
Re: XMEGA Support Status?
Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:02 am
by JetForMe
alexblack wrote:Yes, it is 2 times more price and 10 times slower then STM32F103. Now is the epoch of 32 bit controllers. It is uncompetitive.
That doesn't seem right at all. Comparing the STM32F103C4T6A to the ATXMEGA16E5-M4U (16K Flash, 26 I/O), the STM is almost exactly 2x the price.
However, for my needs, they're both cheap enough, so I might just use an STM for this new project.
However, I still have other projects I built around the XMEGA, I'd love to see that supported.
Re: XMEGA Support Status?
Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:41 am
by alexblack
Sorry for offtopic but You compare not similar devices.
I using AVR Atmel in my commercial products more then ten years and now I used it only in some legacy products and without any OS. I loved AVR but now I used only STM32 for all new products and remake old - it is more simple and has more functionality for same price, like RTC and USB "on the board".
As you know I ported ChibiOS for xMega one year ago but there is no interest for it even from me. Look for activity on this forum and compare with STM32 activity...
If You want to use ChibiOS use STM32 or similar controllers - even if old AVRs enough for You project.
Re: XMEGA Support Status?
Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:06 am
by avrhack
I too was a huge fan of AVR - tiny and mega in particular. Played with the XMEGA a little and whilst it was capable it was a big shift from the MEGA so one has to learn a new processor anyway.
And if you've got to learn a new one then you have a broader choice. I agree with everything said - STM32 just blows the XMEGA away I'm afraid, so my old AVR days are pretty much gone except for very simple stuff when I want a small package such as the 6 pin tiny........