Platform support
Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:16 am
I've been using ChibiOS for a number of projetcs, using various chips and boards from STM and LPC, mostly. So far, getting thigs going for STM has been very easy, and for LPC it was fairly easy as well to adapt existing demos and makefiles. For as-yet unsupported LPC chips, I managed to make it work by hooking stuff into the ChibiOS makefile setup, but mostly that has led to a non-standard setup, i.e. not adding stuff into the ChibiOS tree, but hacking together my own headers, makefiles-which-then-include-the-chibios-makefile, and some ld files thrown together as needed.
Most of this was for 2.6, but for new projects I've started using 3.0, and really like the option of trying out Nil for low-end builds at some point.
For LPC, the 3.0 branch has not yet received much public attention, as far as I can tell. The CMSIS files are not in there, nor any demos for the ARMCMx series. Also, CMSIS 4 is out now, but ChibiOS still uses 3.2 (I don't know if there are important changes).
- is ChibiOS becoming an STM-mostly os? is it due to the lack of interest and access to all those other boards?
- are LPC contributions welcome, even if I don't necessarily volunteer as long-term maintainer for them?
- are there code bases for LPC that people are working on, which I could look at for guidance and as starting point?
In short: I very much like the essence of ChibiOS, in particular 3.0, and would like to spend more time extending and contributing to it in the ways it has evolved in 3.0, but it's a fairly big job, and I'm a little concerned by the current rate of change on the non-STM side of things, in particular the LPC8xx and LPC11xx variants.
-jcw
Most of this was for 2.6, but for new projects I've started using 3.0, and really like the option of trying out Nil for low-end builds at some point.
For LPC, the 3.0 branch has not yet received much public attention, as far as I can tell. The CMSIS files are not in there, nor any demos for the ARMCMx series. Also, CMSIS 4 is out now, but ChibiOS still uses 3.2 (I don't know if there are important changes).
- is ChibiOS becoming an STM-mostly os? is it due to the lack of interest and access to all those other boards?
- are LPC contributions welcome, even if I don't necessarily volunteer as long-term maintainer for them?
- are there code bases for LPC that people are working on, which I could look at for guidance and as starting point?
In short: I very much like the essence of ChibiOS, in particular 3.0, and would like to spend more time extending and contributing to it in the ways it has evolved in 3.0, but it's a fairly big job, and I'm a little concerned by the current rate of change on the non-STM side of things, in particular the LPC8xx and LPC11xx variants.
-jcw