stm32f7 support status? :)

ChibiOS public support forum for topics related to the STMicroelectronics STM32 family of micro-controllers.

Moderator: RoccoMarco

User avatar
russian
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:17 am
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 14 times

stm32f7 support status? :)

Post by russian »

These promise twice the performance of F4... Availabilty: Series production in Q2/2015.

http://www.st.com/web/en/press/p3606s
http://www.st.com/stm32f7

The new STM32 F7 microcontroller (MCU) series leverages the ARM Cortex-M7 core, just announced as ARM’s newest and most powerful Cortex-M processor. ST’s STM32 F7 series leapfrogs the industry’s previous high-performance 32-bit Cortex-M champ — ST’s own STM32 F4 — in delivering up to twice as much processing and DSP performance that is accessible via a seamless upgrade path.
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: stm32f7 support status? :)

Post by Giovanni »

I'll have bribe somebody in order to get some early boards :)

Anyway it is very similar to the F4, I suspect it will work without much changes.

Giovanni
Rick Burnett
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:20 pm

Re: stm32f7 support status? :)

Post by Rick Burnett »

Any news on this front? I just sent a message to my supplier to try and get some STM32F7 chips in the same footprint I am using the STM32F427 right now. I mean, if I have to be first, so be it :) I'm getting ready to order a rev 3 of my boards (OSHPark) so I will probably do a build-up of 2 of them, one with the older processor and one with the newer.
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: stm32f7 support status? :)

Post by Giovanni »

There is not even the Reference Manual available yet nor headers. I think it is still some months away.

Giovanni
rew
Posts: 383
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:59 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: stm32f7 support status? :)

Post by rew »

STM only releases docs for chips once the chips are officially released. And I've found it is possible to have hardware before the chips are officially released.... (And this without special arrangements from ST: "you get to review this chip before it is released", just a regular order from Mouser).

P.S. This is "deduced" from the experience I have. When I asked about a chip I had, I got the response that I wasn't supposed to have that chip yet as it was still to be announced, but.. "here are the docs". Not some official ST policy statement.
User avatar
russian
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:17 am
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: stm32f7 support status? :)

Post by russian »

User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: stm32f7 support status? :)

Post by Giovanni »

Hi,

I should receive an early board next week but I also need headers and OpenOCD support before a real release.

Giovanni
User avatar
russian
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:17 am
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: stm32f7 support status? :)

Post by russian »

Do you think there will be stm32f7 support in 2.6 branch or only 3.0 branch?
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: stm32f7 support status? :)

Post by Giovanni »

Only 3.0.

Giovanni
rew
Posts: 383
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:59 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: stm32f7 support status? :)

Post by rew »

Giovanni wrote:I'll have bribe somebody in order to get some early boards :)
Sometimes just ordering a board at Mouser is enough. I had a '334 board on my desk before the chip had been announced.
Post Reply