Page 1 of 4
ESP32
Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:50 pm
by mobyfab
Hi guys,
So there's this new MCU that was just released, from the same company as the famous ESP8266.
It's a dual core running at 160MHz, tons of ram and (external) flash, lots of peripherals. It's perfect for a full IOT solution.
Right now there's support for FreeRTOS, it would be nice to port it to ChibiOS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESP32
Re: ESP32
Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:03 pm
by Giovanni
Hi,
Interesting but it would be a major endeavour, especially creating an HAL. Boards, compiler and debuggers would required, is there open source support?
Integrated wireless interfaces is great anyway.
Giovanni
Re: ESP32
Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:26 pm
by mobyfab
The SDK is open source
Here:
https://github.com/espressif/esp-idfOpenOCD support:
https://github.com/espressif/openocd-esp32The wifi and bluetooth libs are still provided as binaries.
Re: ESP32
Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:14 pm
by avrhack
Yeah I'd love to see ChibiOS on this although as Giovanni says it's a major undertaking. Although the SDK is open source as mobyfab indicated, I believe there are major parts of the overall environment that are closed by Espressif so not sure how feasible it would be.....
Re: ESP32
Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:24 pm
by inca
Well, the code for FreeRTOS HAL is open source, so it cannot be too hard. =)
I would also like to see this as well.
I have been away from this scene for a bit, though I may take the first steps as a fun exercise for getting back in touch with ChibiOS and learning a new MCU. When I look at it later tonight I'll keep in touch over on the irc @ #chibios. Cheers!
Re: ESP32
Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:26 am
by Giovanni
Hi,
Supporting new MCU families involves finding people working on them, are you volunteering ?

Giovanni
Re: ESP32
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:09 am
by davidbuzz
I'm a competent esp32 developer, and an ardupilot developer ( runs on chibios), and would love to see chibios ported to esp32, but the low-level bring-up is beyond my skills to do on my own... is there a chat channel where we could try as a group to do this..?
Re: ESP32
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:10 am
by davidbuzz
... there is clearly interest elsewhere too... eg:
https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/issues/7751
Re: ESP32
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:46 am
by Giovanni
Hi,
If there is a group willing to give it a try then I could provide a forum area and try to support the effort. Getting started with simple drivers should not be a huge effort. The plan is simple:
1) Make a clock tree initialization, it does not need to be fully configurable initially.
2) Make a PAL driver, easy usually.
3) Make a serial driver, easy usually.
4) Make a simple demo running the test suite on serial output (the same you see for STM32).
Now you have the bare minimum for a "supported platform". From here you can decide on which drivers to invest your time, the hard ones are USB and Ethernet.
Do you need to support a specific device or a whole family? the latter can be more complex, see the STM32 source tree, there are hundreds of those.
Giovanni
Re: ESP32
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:17 pm
by davidbuzz
A forum area, and whatnot sounds great. I'm in. Who else?