[DONE] The New STM32F429/F439

This forum is dedicated to feedback, discussions about ongoing or future developments, ideas and suggestions regarding the ChibiOS projects are welcome. This forum is NOT for support.
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: [TODO] The New STM32F429/F439

Post by Giovanni »

There are more changes than expected thanks to the new header...

Giovanni
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: [TODO] The New STM32F429/F439

Post by Giovanni »

X Tectu

Very interesting, VGA output using the new discovery.

Giovanni
User avatar
Tectu
Posts: 1225
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 9:50 am

Re: [TODO] The New STM32F429/F439

Post by Tectu »

Yep, that's indeed very interesting! Give me a working ChibiOS/RT on that board and I'll take care of the rest ;)

~ Tectu
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: [TODO] The New STM32F429/F439

Post by Giovanni »

Well, the port is done and the demo compiles but OpenOCD 0.7.0 does not support the device yet so I am stuck, can anybody give it a try?

This is the OCD log:

Code: Select all

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.7.0-dev-00079-g08ddb19 (2012-11-12-17:14)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
   http://openocd.sourceforge.net/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
adapter speed: 1000 kHz
Warn : Interface already configured, ignoring
Error: already specified stlink_layout usb
adapter speed: 1000 kHz
srst_only separate srst_nogate srst_open_drain
Info : clock speed 1000 kHz
Info : stm32f4x.cpu: hardware has 6 breakpoints, 4 watchpoints
Info : accepting 'gdb' connection from 3333
Info : device id = 0x10036419
Warn : Cannot identify target as a STM32 family.
Error: auto_probe failed
Error: Connect failed. Consider setting up a gdb-attach event for the target to prepare target for GDB connect, or use 'gdb_memory_map disable'.
Error: attempted 'gdb' connection rejected


Giovanni
User avatar
Tectu
Posts: 1225
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 9:50 am

Re: [TODO] The New STM32F429/F439

Post by Tectu »

I just gave it a try and I don't have any issues to access the target MCU through OpenOCD 0.7.0

Code: Select all

openocd -f interface/stlink-v2.cfg -f target/stm32f4xx_stlink.cfg

I could compile and flash the demo without any problems. However, it keeps hanging here forever:

Code: Select all

while ((PWR->CSR & PWR_CSR_VOSRDY) == 0)

Looks like the voltage regulators never trigger the stable flag. Is it working for you, Giovanni?


~ Tectu
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: [TODO] The New STM32F429/F439

Post by Giovanni »

I have not been able to flash the code so I didn't reach that point yet. Tomorrow I will give it another try.

Giovanni
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: [TODO] The New STM32F429/F439

Post by Giovanni »

Just a note,

Apparently it is not possible to run the CPU at 180MHz and obtain a 48MHz clock for USB... at least I have been unable to find a solution for that, the demo has been setup for a 168MHz clock.

Giovanni
User avatar
Tectu
Posts: 1225
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 9:50 am

Re: [TODO] The New STM32F429/F439

Post by Tectu »

I can try that later this night. Would I have to alter the PLL settings or is there some ready to use macro to set the frequency?


~ Tectu
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: [TODO] The New STM32F429/F439

Post by Giovanni »

It is all about the PLL settings in mcuconf.h. There is no combination that yields 48MHz for the OTG when running at 180MHz, very strange they didn't foresee this.

Alternatively, I am missing something very obvious...

Giovanni
fractal
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:13 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: [TODO] The New STM32F429/F439

Post by fractal »

I don't actually have a 429, but from what I read it seems the main PLL is unchanged from the 407 and similar. I can also not find a combination which would work, unless you can now increase the PLL clock to 720 MHz - in which case you could divide by 15 for USB and 4 for the CPU. There doesn't seem to be a macro yet.
Post Reply