Hi All,
Just for info... a new STM32F429 EvoPrimer is available with demo application featuring the STM32F429 DMA2D peripheral for accelerated handling of graphics. Examples include handling of bitmap econding/decoding, mutiple objects on the display, layering of objects and blending to include management of transparency.
There's a video of the demo on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJWeVvicvZk&hd=1
Sample apps are available at stm32circle.com (Direct link: http://www.stm32circle.com/resources/stm3242Iprimer.php)
STM32F429 EvoPrimer features DMA2D graphics accelerator
Moderator: RoccoMarco
Re: STM32F429 EvoPrimer features DMA2D graphics accelerator
any real benefit to getting this over an STM32F429 Discovery board? Looks like the only reason is to be able to swap in different CPU boards?
Re: STM32F429 EvoPrimer features DMA2D graphics accelerator
The ChromART can sure be an interesting thing. Adding ChromART support to µGFX is planned to be done soon.
~ Tectu
~ Tectu
Re: STM32F429 EvoPrimer features DMA2D graphics accelerator
I was at the ST workshop last thursday. The Chrom-ART is a very interesting piece of hardware, especially for those who want to draw bitmap-based stuff. The Chrom-ART accelerator allows on-the-fly conversion between some common formats, as well as blending (alpha) and DMA-controlled windowed copy. Clipping, primitives, GUIs, etc must still be handled via software.
I hope ChibiOS/RT will add support for the new F429 MCU soon (I heard there are some troubles with the new ST headers). I personally do not care about 2D graphics acceleration except for framebuffer handling, since I would just make a sort of clone of my beloved Wolf3D for myself (hopefully with some free time)
I hope ChibiOS/RT will add support for the new F429 MCU soon (I heard there are some troubles with the new ST headers). I personally do not care about 2D graphics acceleration except for framebuffer handling, since I would just make a sort of clone of my beloved Wolf3D for myself (hopefully with some free time)
Last edited by TexZK on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Giovanni
- Site Admin
- Posts: 14891
- Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
- Has thanked: 1202 times
- Been thanked: 996 times
Re: STM32F429 EvoPrimer features DMA2D graphics accelerator
Hi,
Support has already been added in the repository, problems with headers have been resolved.
Giovanni
Support has already been added in the repository, problems with headers have been resolved.
Giovanni
Re: STM32F429 EvoPrimer features DMA2D graphics accelerator
Can't wait to come back home and try with that demo board 
Re: STM32F429 EvoPrimer features DMA2D graphics accelerator
If you're interested in what a DMA2D peripheral can do for graphics display in your microcontroller applications... this article from Francis Lamotte explains how it works:
http://www.embedded.com/design/mcus-processors-and-socs/4426244/2/Building-eye-catching-GUIs-for-your-embedded-MCU-designs
He describes the implementation on STM32F429 EvoPrimer.
The sources for his examples are available at stm32circle.com
http://www.embedded.com/design/mcus-processors-and-socs/4426244/2/Building-eye-catching-GUIs-for-your-embedded-MCU-designs
He describes the implementation on STM32F429 EvoPrimer.
The sources for his examples are available at stm32circle.com
Re: STM32F429 EvoPrimer features DMA2D graphics accelerator
Oh well, I'm aware of what the DMA2D peripheral is capable of doing... as I've already done a ChibiOS driver for it a few weeks ago, along with the LTDC driver!
(see my branch on the community git repo)
Design Contest for STM32F429 EvoPrimer and DMA2D
There is a design contest for the STM32F429 EvoPrimer and DMA2D.
$10 000 in cash prizes.
There is more information at the stm32circle web site
Deadline for entering is 21 March 2014.
The project entry form is http://www.stm32circle.com/projects/add_contest.php?contest_2013=1
$10 000 in cash prizes.
There is more information at the stm32circle web site
Deadline for entering is 21 March 2014.
The project entry form is http://www.stm32circle.com/projects/add_contest.php?contest_2013=1