Hi all,
Currently, I am working on one project based on freertos and stm32 hal, but now i decided to switch that project to chibios RT/hal.
I have used Chibi Studio for a basic understanding of how to compile and create board files,s, etc.
now I want to use chibios in the VS code environment.
can anyone help me to set up a toolchain for this?
thanks in advance
Chibios projecct compilation in VScode
Moderators: RoccoMarco, lbednarz, tfAteba
- Giovanni
- Site Admin
- Posts: 14891
- Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
- Has thanked: 1202 times
- Been thanked: 996 times
Re: Chibios projecct compilation in VScode
Hi,
It has been done but I don't know details,you could join the discord server and ask there to Vitaly.
https://discord.gg/s8b8v7VtrM
Anyway, ChibiOS is based on makefiles, I assume VSCode can import makefile projects like Eclipse does.
Giovanni
It has been done but I don't know details,you could join the discord server and ask there to Vitaly.
https://discord.gg/s8b8v7VtrM
Anyway, ChibiOS is based on makefiles, I assume VSCode can import makefile projects like Eclipse does.
Giovanni
Re: Chibios projecct compilation in VScode
Hi all,
Mainly if your project if base on makefile, there will be no problem to compile it, just by running the make command in a terminal.
You will need to install some pluging (C, C++, cortext debug) this will help you to view some ARM registers.
But to debug you will need to create a vscode configuration file (launch.json), in this file you will have to specify all mandatories information for debug (openocd/stlink, svd file for STM23 registers, configuration file, target file etc...)
Here is an example of a file that i used last year.
I hope it will help you!
Mainly if your project if base on makefile, there will be no problem to compile it, just by running the make command in a terminal.
You will need to install some pluging (C, C++, cortext debug) this will help you to view some ARM registers.
But to debug you will need to create a vscode configuration file (launch.json), in this file you will have to specify all mandatories information for debug (openocd/stlink, svd file for STM23 registers, configuration file, target file etc...)
Here is an example of a file that i used last year.
Code: Select all
{
"version": "0.2.0",
"configurations": [
{
"name": "Cortex debug",
"cwd": "${workspaceRoot}",
"executable": "./build/x237.elf",
"request": "launch",
"type": "cortex-debug",
"servertype": "openocd",
"device": "STM32L452RE",
"svdFile": "/opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.9.0/plugins/com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.productdb.debug_2.0.200.202201061234/resources/cmsis/STMicroelectronics_CMSIS_SVD/STM32L4x2.svd",
"configFiles": [
"interface/stlink.cfg",
"target/stm32l4x.cfg"
]
},
{
"name": "C/C++: arm-none-eabi-gcc build and debug active file",
"type": "cppdbg",
"request": "launch",
"program": "${fileDirname}/${fileBasenameNoExtension}",
"args": [],
"stopAtEntry": false,
"cwd": "${fileDirname}",
"environment": [],
"externalConsole": false,
"MIMode": "gdb",
"setupCommands": [
{
"description": "Enable pretty-printing for gdb",
"text": "-enable-pretty-printing",
"ignoreFailures": true,
},
{
"description": "Set Disassembly Flavor to Intel",
"text": "-gdb-set disassembly-flavor intel",
"ignoreFailures": true
}
],
"preLaunchTask": "C/C++: arm-none-eabi-gcc build active file",
"miDebuggerPath": "/usr/bin/gdb"
}
]
}
I hope it will help you!
Re: Chibios projecct compilation in VScode
Thank you for your prompt reply.
I understand that the project is based on Makefile, and I can compile the code in VS Code as well.
However, my challenge lies in not knowing how to set the environment variables in VS Code. In Chibistudio, we typically run a BAT file to set all the necessary variables before opening Eclipse.
I understand that the project is based on Makefile, and I can compile the code in VS Code as well.
However, my challenge lies in not knowing how to set the environment variables in VS Code. In Chibistudio, we typically run a BAT file to set all the necessary variables before opening Eclipse.
-
emmayashri
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:11 am
Re: Chibios projecct compilation in VScode
Hey hi, install the ARM toolchain then ChibiOS repository in your project directory. Configure ChibiOS files and VS Code settings for ARM development.