[DONE] The New STM32F429/F439

This forum is dedicated to feedback, discussions about ongoing or future developments, ideas and suggestions regarding the ChibiOS projects are welcome. This forum is NOT for support.
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: [TODO] The New STM32F429/F439

Post by Giovanni »

The PLL upper limit is rated at 432MHz, so no luck.

Giovanni
trepidacious
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:36 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: [TODO] The New STM32F429/F439

Post by trepidacious »

I've tried with Texane stlink (it seems to have added support for 42X in current git), and it seems happy to flash and debug. I get the same result as Tectu, hanging on:

Code: Select all

while ((PWR->CSR & PWR_CSR_VOSRDY) == 0)

The interesting thing is that the very first time I flashed the board, it did blink the red and green LEDs, until I reset the board and it stopped, now it always seems to hang, not sure what would cause that.
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: [TODO] The New STM32F429/F439

Post by Giovanni »

It is like it retained some setting from the previous code in Flash, then, after reset it started to malfunction. There must be a difference around VOS handling, good hint.

Giovanni
trepidacious
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:36 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: [TODO] The New STM32F429/F439

Post by trepidacious »

Yes I think so - VOS was one of the things I noticed has changed, it now has another bit (1:0 rather than just 0), I think setting this one to 0 gets you Scale 3, which seems to only work for 120MHz? I'll try setting some different bits :)
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: [TODO] The New STM32F429/F439

Post by Giovanni »

May be I found the root cause, from the RM:

memories and digital peripherals). In this mode, the regulator output voltage (around
1.2 V) can be scaled by software to different voltage values (scale 1, scale 2, and scale
3 can be configured through VOS[1:0] bits of the PWR_CR register). The scale can be
modified only when the PLL is OFF and the HSI or HSE clock source is selected as
system clock source. The new value programmed is active only when the PLL is ON.
When the PLL is OFF, the voltage scale 3 is automatically selected.
The voltage scaling allows optimizing the power consumption when the device is
clocked below the maximum system frequency. After exit from Stop mode, the voltage


Apparently, unlike the older F40x, the VOS switch is performed after activating the PLL, so the wait loop should be moved after the PLL activation. As soon I am able to flash the device I will test this hypothesis, could somebody give it a try?

Giovanni
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: [TODO] The New STM32F429/F439

Post by Giovanni »

Fixed, it works :)

OpenOCD works too... I was using the version 0.6.0... 0.7.0 is fine using the target stm32f4_stlink.cfg.

The demo does not yet initialize the SDRAM and the LCD.

Giovanni
trepidacious
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:36 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: [TODO] The New STM32F429/F439

Post by trepidacious »

Too late to be useful, but I tried the change and it works :) I had a USB problem but I that might just be me not plugging the cable in, doh ;)
trepidacious
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:36 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: [TODO] The New STM32F429/F439

Post by trepidacious »

I still seem to get a hang at:

Code: Select all

0x080071aa in otg_core_reset (usbp=0x20001148 <USBD2>)
    at ../../os/hal/platforms/STM32/OTGv1/usb_lld.c:133
133     while ((otgp->GRSTCTL & GRSTCTL_CSRST) != 0)


If I remove the USB serial code it runs the blink threads fine.
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: [TODO] The New STM32F429/F439

Post by Giovanni »

Strange, the USB is working for me. Can somebody else confirm?

Giovanni
User avatar
Tectu
Posts: 1225
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 9:50 am

Re: [TODO] The New STM32F429/F439

Post by Tectu »

I sadly have to stick to trepidacious... It keeps hanging here for me as well:

Code: Select all

0x080075ea in otg_core_reset (usbp=0x20001148) at ../../os/hal/platforms/STM32/OTGv1/usb_lld.c:133
133     while ((otgp->GRSTCTL & GRSTCTL_CSRST) != 0)



~ Tectu
Post Reply