ChibiOS on the Arduino Uno

ChibiOS public support forum for topics related to the Atmel AVR family of micro-controllers.

Moderator: tfAteba

Post Reply
mikenick42
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:49 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

ChibiOS on the Arduino Uno

Post by mikenick42 »

I was just wondering if everyone here is using the libraries greiman wrote for the AVR chips with small amounts of memory. I tried to modify the RT-ARDUINOMEGA example and even with no OS features enabled couldn't get a program to fit into the flash.

The NIL-ARDUINOMEGA example was easy enough to modify and NIL is working for me thus far, so this is more a question of curiosity than looking for help.
devlware
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:03 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: ChibiOS on the Arduino Uno

Post by devlware »

I also modified the same MEGA example to run with the Arduino Uno but no luck.
I did not understand why the compiler reports so huge numbers for both program and data as follows.

Size after:
AVR Memory Usage
----------------
Device: atmega328p

Program: 31668 bytes (96.6% Full)
(.text + .data + .bootloader)

Data: 3973 bytes (194.0% Full)
(.data + .bss + .noinit)

-------- end --------

Regards, Diego
utzig
Posts: 359
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:22 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: ChibiOS on the Arduino Uno

Post by utzig »

Here's the output of the current Arduino Mega 1280 demo as is:

Code: Select all

AVR Memory Usage
----------------
Device: atmega1280

Program:   28226 bytes (21.5% Full)
(.text + .data + .bootloader)

Data:       3951 bytes (48.2% Full)
(.data + .bss + .noinit)


Now if I disable the TestThread:

Code: Select all

AVR Memory Usage
----------------
Device: atmega1280

Program:   11652 bytes (8.9% Full)
(.text + .data + .bootloader)

Data:        466 bytes (5.7% Full)
(.data + .bss + .noinit)


Hope that helps to make it clear what's happening! ;-)

Cheers,
Fabio Utzig
devlware
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:03 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: ChibiOS on the Arduino Uno

Post by devlware »

:oops:

Size after:
AVR Memory Usage
----------------
Device: atmega328p

Program: 13474 bytes (41.1% Full)
(.text + .data + .bootloader)

Data: 480 bytes (23.4% Full)
(.data + .bss + .noinit)

Now its working.
utzig
Posts: 359
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:22 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: ChibiOS on the Arduino Uno

Post by utzig »

It's all good! I'll wait for your patches so I can add official support again! :P

Cheers,
Fabio Utzig
mikenick42
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:49 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: ChibiOS on the Arduino Uno

Post by mikenick42 »

deviware? Did you ever make any progress on a patch?
Post Reply