[NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

This forum is dedicated to feedback, discussions about ongoing or future developments, ideas and suggestions regarding the ChibiOS projects are welcome. This forum is NOT for support.
cxran2wms
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:03 pm

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Post by cxran2wms »

I want to buy a paper copy!
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Post by Giovanni »

Hi,

cxran2wms wrote:I want to buy a paper copy!


Paper copies will be available once released.

Giovanni
Raul
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:15 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Post by Raul »

Hi Giovanni,

One comment about the last example at <edited>

Code: Select all

/*
 * LED timer callback.
 */
static void led_cb(void *arg) {
 
  LED_toggle();
  chVTSet(&led_vt, MS2ST(500), led_cb, NULL);
}


Presumably chVTSetI should be used instead since the callback would be called from ISR context.

Raul
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Post by Giovanni »

Hi,

Thanks fixing.

I see that now the book become public stuff, brilliant idea... who do I need to thank for this?

Giovanni
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Post by Giovanni »

Hi,

Yesterday I discovered that the book content has been leaked and was (and still is) available on the web.

This basically removes any reason for me to continue the work, the book project has been put on indefinite hold. Accesses to the original material have been revoked.

Giovanni
Raul
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:15 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Post by Raul »

Hi Giovanni,

I am sorry to hear that your book has been publicly disclosed without your consent. Whoever did it should have checked with you previously, even if the intention was positive, I am sure that your decision
will cause some regret to the unauthorized publisher but what's even more unfortunate would be that all that hard work putting together such well structured (and needed) documentation will never make it.
And that's where it gets painful, specially for the newcomers (where I include myself). Personally, unaware of the circumstances, I have happened to benefit from reading the book while taking my firsts steps with ChibiOS, I have pretty much been referring to it daily since came across it. I find its contents incredibly valuable, the book is like the glue that brings together the detail documentation in sourceforge and adds conceptual information and that's critical for stuff to click in, good documentation draws interests and all in all provide (more) developers with a clearer understanding of all the features which would yield to better quality apps, etc.

I hope these lines help to provide some encouragement to continue working on the book, there are lots of us looking forward to getting a paper copy, even if there are readily available digital drafts, as a sign of appreciation for bring up this awesome RTOS, which is great by itself. But it will surely be even better complemented by a book(s) and I am positive that the present and future users will share this feeling.

Keep it up,

Raul
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Post by Giovanni »

Probably it will reappear behind a paywall after the issues have been cleared.

I would not hold my breath because the infringing material is still there, I am evaluating my options.

Giovanni
awesome1337

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Post by awesome1337 »

It has been deleted if you mean this link (which is indexed by google):
http://chibios-book.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Post by Giovanni »

awesome1337 wrote:It has been deleted if you mean this link (which is indexed by google):
http://chibios-book.readthedocs.org/en/latest/


Thanks, it is what I was waiting for. Sorry for all the noise :)
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: [NEWS] The ChibiOS Book

Post by Giovanni »

The book is freely accessible from the homepage now: http://www.chibios.org/dokuwiki/doku.ph ... book:start

It will stay this way for a while.

Giovanni
Post Reply