Hi,
Most likely I will participate to Better Embedded 2012 with a hand-on training regarding ChibiOS/RT.
The conference is organized by Develer srl, the company behind BeRTOS, they invited me for a talk or a training, I opted for a training, talking to a huge crowd is not one of my skills.
I am posting this here in case somebody is interested. I plan to talk about ChibiOS/RT, architecture, environment and finally a demonstration on HW. The conference will be held in Florence at the end of September so it could be a good opportunity for tourism too.
BTW, I wish to use this thread to collect ideas for the training. Thoughts?
Giovanni
Better Embedded 2012
- Giovanni
- Site Admin
- Posts: 14891
- Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
- Has thanked: 1202 times
- Been thanked: 996 times
Re: Better Embedded 2012
Hi Giovanni,
given that the title of the conference is "Better Embedded" I'd propose the following focus:
So I think it could be a good idea to begin where these guys stoped - Start by showing multiple threads, semaphores and mutexes. Demonstrate ways to debug stack usage and than move on to IPC. Maybe you could get sponsored Discovery Kits from ST? Always give them time to absorb the idea of several tasks running in parallel. They have years of training thinking serially
BTW, what's the conference language?
given that the title of the conference is "Better Embedded" I'd propose the following focus:
- Firstly, I guess there are quite a lot of embedded programmers who have previously only used AVR/PIC processors with no RTOS.
- Secondly, somebody looking to improve his skills will probably look into using 32bit CPUs in the future, say the cortex m3 series.
So I think it could be a good idea to begin where these guys stoped - Start by showing multiple threads, semaphores and mutexes. Demonstrate ways to debug stack usage and than move on to IPC. Maybe you could get sponsored Discovery Kits from ST? Always give them time to absorb the idea of several tasks running in parallel. They have years of training thinking serially
BTW, what's the conference language?
- Giovanni
- Site Admin
- Posts: 14891
- Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
- Has thanked: 1202 times
- Been thanked: 996 times
Re: Better Embedded 2012
Good points, probably it should focus on "32bits embedded made easy", "good portability of code across devices", "tools" and "complete environment".
About the language, The web site is in Italian but I am planning for a training in English, I'll ask.
About the Discovery kits, I am trying but ST is an elephant, I always ended up buying my own Discovery boards.
Giovanni
About the language, The web site is in Italian but I am planning for a training in English, I'll ask.
About the Discovery kits, I am trying but ST is an elephant, I always ended up buying my own Discovery boards.
Giovanni
Re: Better Embedded 2012
If possible put the training on youtube too, you'll reach a larger audience.
We approached ST for sponsoring through their marketing manager, i happened to have his business card from some conference.
We approached ST for sponsoring through their marketing manager, i happened to have his business card from some conference.
- Giovanni
- Site Admin
- Posts: 14891
- Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
- Has thanked: 1202 times
- Been thanked: 996 times
Re: Better Embedded 2012
Hi Giovanni,
about the discovery kits I can give you some ST contacts too, they gave us 10 kits for a university class on embedded development, and they looked pretty happy about that
Do you have an estimate of how many boards will you need?
about the discovery kits I can give you some ST contacts too, they gave us 10 kits for a university class on embedded development, and they looked pretty happy about that
Do you have an estimate of how many boards will you need?
- Giovanni
- Site Admin
- Posts: 14891
- Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
- Has thanked: 1202 times
- Been thanked: 996 times
Re: Better Embedded 2012
Hi,
If you could give me the contacts I will ask them immediately (or you could do that directly).
It would be cool to give a kit to all people attending the training, they could use it immediately during the training. I don't know yet how many people will be present in this specific training, I think something like 10-30.
The training should take place in the afternoon of the first day, 4 hours with a break at 16:00.
Giovanni
If you could give me the contacts I will ask them immediately (or you could do that directly).
It would be cool to give a kit to all people attending the training, they could use it immediately during the training. I don't know yet how many people will be present in this specific training, I think something like 10-30.
The training should take place in the afternoon of the first day, 4 hours with a break at 16:00.
Giovanni
- Giovanni
- Site Admin
- Posts: 14891
- Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
- Has thanked: 1202 times
- Been thanked: 996 times
Re: Better Embedded 2012
PS. of course if you know people that could be interested feel free to increase that number 
Giovanni
Giovanni
- Giovanni
- Site Admin
- Posts: 14891
- Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
- Has thanked: 1202 times
- Been thanked: 996 times
Re: Better Embedded 2012
Hi,
ST is already acting, I received a call yesterday about this, we should have plenty discovery kits for those attending the demonstration
About the conference, I have a discount code, if somebody is interested PM me.
Giovanni
ST is already acting, I received a call yesterday about this, we should have plenty discovery kits for those attending the demonstration
About the conference, I have a discount code, if somebody is interested PM me.
Giovanni