Eclipse debug plugin for ChibiOS/RT

This forum is dedicated to feedback, discussions about ongoing or future developments, ideas and suggestions regarding the ChibiOS projects are welcome. This forum is NOT for support.
mabl
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:19 am
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Eclipse debug plugin for ChibiOS/RT

Post by mabl »

I just made a small test with my JLink and Eclipse 3.7.0 - works perfectly.

One suggestion: Would it be possible to add an option to update the view once the execution is paused?
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: Eclipse debug plugin for ChibiOS/RT

Post by Giovanni »

It would be possible but fetching all the data can take time, especially if the trace buffer is enabled. You would have a delay after each breakpoint. Anyway, it would be a nice option to have for the owners of fast probes.

Giovanni
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: Eclipse debug plugin for ChibiOS/RT

Post by Giovanni »

http://www.chibios.org/plugins/org.chib ... _1.0.2.jar

This is "complete" until I learn how to output graphics into Eclipse or bugs are reported. Stacks measurement will be added after a specific kernel improvement will be introduced.

About OpenOCD, they will be releasing 0.5.0 soon, probably better wait for that version first.

Giovanni
matis
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Eclipse debug plugin for ChibiOS/RT

Post by matis »

I can confirm that this plugin works great on Ubuntu 10.04-2 with Eclipse Helios SR2 and OpenOCD 4.0 (custom build) combined with the Olimex MSP430-JTAG-TINY.

Thanks for the effort you put into it :)
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: Eclipse debug plugin for ChibiOS/RT

Post by Giovanni »

Hi Matis,

Are you testing on MSP430? It would be interesting if you explain your setup for MSP430 under Eclipse.

Giovanni
matis
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Eclipse debug plugin for ChibiOS/RT

Post by matis »

Giovanni,

It might that we are misunderstanding each other. What I meant to say, was that I use the Olimex MSP430 as the JTAG connector. I'm not developing on a MSP430 experiment board.

Sorry if I mislead you :roll:

Matis
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: Eclipse debug plugin for ChibiOS/RT

Post by Giovanni »

The plugin now is also able to inspect the stack usage of the running threads, it is now available on the repository trunk as it is now standard part of the ChibiOS/RT package.

Please report any problem you may find, it is still quite experimental.

Giovanni
User avatar
barthess
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:55 pm
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Eclipse debug plugin for ChibiOS/RT

Post by barthess »

It is really must have plugin. Thanks a lot, Giovanni.
Tested with:
Eclipse - Helios Service Release 2
OpenOCD - 0.5.0
"arm-usb-ocd" JTAG dongle from Olimex.

One trouble (looks like I forget something). In "Threads" tab instead of treads' names it prints <no name> except of "main" and "idle" threads.
One suggestion: possibility to copy data from plugin window to clipboard.
User avatar
Giovanni
Site Admin
Posts: 14891
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 996 times

Re: Eclipse debug plugin for ChibiOS/RT

Post by Giovanni »

Hi,

If you want to give names to your threads use the function chRegSetThreadName(). Good idea about copying data into the clipboard, I was thinking to a CSV or XML export too.

Giovanni
mabl
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:19 am
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Eclipse debug plugin for ChibiOS/RT

Post by mabl »

I have one wish too :D
I don't know if it is feasible, but I'd love to click on a thread/callback and directly jump to the source code as well.
Post Reply